Building a cubmobile & tips and hints.

Discussions related to building cubmobiles.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: building a cubmobile & tips and hints.

Post by sporty »

Thanks for the kind words,

And happy racing and future racing to all

sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I wanted to put a new post in the tips and hints section.

I recently bought 4 used soap box derby wheels, 12 inch. off of e-bay for only $20.00

I am gonna put them on the cub mobiile and when it is warmer out, try them out and see how they compare.

I have a new tip, but I am not posting in open forum, all non illinois members or viewers may contact me and I will share the new tip.

For reasons of not sharing the info with potential competitors locally. Since they do view this forum.

sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I wanted to also let you know,

That I have a small vinyl lettering machine. upto 6 inches tall, length upto 21 inches long.

Solid colors.

Those who may need numbers or a decal. I would be happy to do, cheaply.

Like pack number or car number, driver name. Contact me for further info.

sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Here is a link to a news letter I did, more detail info on building a good and fast cubmobile racer.

There our some misspelled words, As You have noticed in alot of my previous posts. Im horrid at it.

http://home.insightbb.com/wsb-cgi-bin/s ... 03_v3.html

Also, I have made a cubmobile vinyi decal, 1 color and multicolored.

I currently find no one esle out there making them.

Would anyone be interested in one ? I am considering putting some on e-bay. But was curious if there was even people interested.

Sporty
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Sporty,

As always; Thanks for the information!
This iwll be really helpful for those of us who want to run a Cubmobile Derby but have not done so as yet (maybe this Summer!).

Don't worry about misspelling words :lol: as I have worn out the spell checker feature on my PC at work at least twice! :shock:

Great looking decal - will keep this in mind when we run our race. Could you possibly send this graphic out to those interested in using it for a t-shirt transfer as well?

Da Graphite Kid

PS: Stiil have not heard from the local vinyl guy for our trophy lettering...
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Well thanks,

Im sure the image could be used for a t-shirt transfer. Either doing it on your own or more professional from a shop.

Which would save money, I think most shops charge a design fee of around $50.00.

I'll think on giving it out for free. I know if people really wanted to, they could save my image from my site and play around with it.

But I cant do the vinyl decal for free.
http://home.insightbb.com/~cubmobile/ws ... html-.html

sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Update,

I notice many viewers have came to this area and read alot of the info I have provided as well as others.

I have recently updated my website

http://home.insightbb.com/~ryan.johnson ... html-.html

and for those interested should look in the derby products section. There you will find mention of other info.

I know since its says derby products, it can appear not to co inside with Cubmobile. But that is the proper place to post information for other services or products.

I use to never go there, cuz I thought it was just for Pine Wood Derby. As most of this web site is more geared towards PWD.

I have to thank the owner and builder of the site, for having other sections that just PWD.

I recently donated to the site and hope others well also.

Sporty
FatAlbert'sRacing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by FatAlbert'sRacing »

Sporty,

We had our Cubmobile last weekend. A couple of the cars that was brought had the Commtech 2000 wheels on them. But the cars was mainly made out of aluminum piping. The back axel was a 4x4 but everything else was piping. They made fast little cars. And they had welded the front axel to the main frame but the did it right and they went straight. I only saw those cars lose once.
My son used a regular Cubmoble car and he came in second place for Bears. That is twice he has placed for his ranking in tis event.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Wow,

they allowed aluminuim piping ?

Must be some pretty loose rules.

It is very hard for a Cubmobile that is made out of wood, compared to metal, to compete against one another.

Personally I feel those cars should have been dis qualified. But I dont know your pack rules on the event.

Our pack does not allow metal, except for the axles, screws and wheels and mounting.

seat, brake lever, frame and cross members have to be wood.

It's good to hear your son did well for the event.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I had another question,

You mentioned they only lost once.

I guess I am curious to know if it was driver error on that race ?

I am curious that they went with the comtech wheels, did you happen to see if them up close ?

I wonder if the plastic bearing seal was on it or not ?

Was it a down hill event ?

Sporty
FatAlbert'sRacing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sporty,

The heat that I saw them lose in, it was close. They lost by inches so it wasn't like they got beat by a mistake.

I looked at the car after the race and I knew when I had saw them that they had bought the Commtech wheels. I didn't look at the bearings in them, sorry....

The rules where put out. I wasn't down there at the track when they regestered I was senting up our concession stand.

But our pack does have a history of not doing the pre race inpections coreect anyway. But somebody from another pack asked me if the car was legal. I said that I would not have allowed it because it wasn't within the spirit of the Cubmobile design. I did keep away from using the word "CHEAT".

Our track that we use is really short. We have a ramp that we use. The start to about 6 feet up and comes down. then the run out is about 50 feet.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

wow,

50 feet.

Thanks for the info, this helps explain alot to me.

Are inspection rules are fairly tight, Safety is the main concern.

We feel that metal on the car, can increase injury also.

You might have read through some of the past posts, but our race is 150 foot long.

I think 50 feet is a little short for a track.

When I tested equal weighted vehicles, comparing different wheels.

As I believe that I have mentioned in past posts.

The stock comtech wheels didnt fair well. But I do like them for down hill events and you can take off the plastic bearing seal or even add different bearings in.

For $5 a wheel it is a good buy and you have to thanks comtech for doing this for the scouts program.

What you have to overcome with those wheels is the weight loss, plastic versus metal, and the spin time, the free spin is not well with those.

the plus is a narrower wheel, less friction.

It wasnt the wheels that were a advantage for those Cubmobiles, it was the added weight, to make up for the lighter wheels.

However, Not knowing if they played around with the bearings or not is a key.

I look at the forum as, most people who bother to find this forum, are the ones on the edge of things, really into the event.

And are wanting to give there child the best chance and a win or not to come in last.

Meaning, we are the 5% out of the 95% we go the extra mile to build, design and look at all the area's to make the fastest and best Cubmobile.

Sporty
FatAlbert'sRacing
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know that our track is short. But finding a good slope to run in New Orleans is a little hard to do.

I am going to try and find out if anybody took some pictures of that car and our ramp so that I can post them up......,.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Well Fat Albert,

any luck on the pictures ?

had not heard from you in a awhile.

I have been getting into the fine tuning stages of the Cubmobile.

sporty
FatAlbert'sRacing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sporty,

The person that has the pictures is trying to find the ones of that car. I have been real busy with the Pack, and with work I haven't had the time to be on the board that much.

When we find the pic's I'll post them up.

What new things have you done to your cars???