Lube

Discussions related to building cubmobiles.
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Lube

Post by Smell of pine »

I found this discussion on the web about lube for a soapbox car, but I guess it could pertain to cubmobiles as well. My question is they talk about lubes for the wheel bearings, but also the spindle as well. Is this for wheels that don't have bearings? If it is for wheels with bearings, I don't understand.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Lube

Post by sporty »

is the wheel has a bearing, dont lube the axle, it will work against the bearings function.

lubing the axle is for non bearing wheels.

hope this clears this up.

sporty
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

That's what I figured, but it was not specified in there statements. Do some soapbox derby wheels come with bushings rather than bearings?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I am new to the Soap box derby.

I know the older wheels had bearings, no bushings.

As for the new ones, I ll have wait until I have a set of the newer wheels to answer that.

So i hope a more expierenced soap box racer cna answer that questions for you.
clemsontigerfanatic
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by clemsontigerfanatic »

One thing that is differnt about soap box is that you trade wheels
between heats with your opponet. Probably why no washers.
You can imaigine them getting lost. Ours has bearings.
Also at least in our race they mark the white wheel with a arrow for direction each wheel spins.
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

With SBD, is there usually more than one local race? When I look for races in my area, there is one in June. Do the winners move on to higher level races, until they reach national level? How much money could actually be spent for the whole SBD experience?

I have a lot on my plate at the moment. I'd like to at least go watch a race or two for the SBD, but the PWD, and the cubmobile stuff as well as a handful of other things will keep me busy for a little while. We might be interested in trying SBD next year depending on how the whole cubmobile stuff goes.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

www.aasbd.com

www.ndr.org

national derby races,

you can go to several of them and race for points, the person who has most points can go and race in akron ohio, the nationals.

the aasbd races throught the area, you go to the one that is closest and the winners go onto akron ohio.

the ndr give drivers more chances and also better practice. they can still enter into there closest aasbd race.

Winner of the closest aasbd race, I believe they are given a check to help pay for costs to akron ohio.

depending on what car.

stock, super stock, modified. it can get very costly.

were going to do our closest race for aasbd. The stock kit you buy from aasbd.com

the kit was like $460 including shipping, does not include wheels they are $90 then also whatever the shipping costs would be.

But you also need weights for the car and that will cost you, my quess around $100.

Now then you have your entry fee and that around $50 per race, some races our more.

I have figured it will cost me around $1,000 to do 1 race, costs of driving and entry fee and the car and so forth.

Now my son still has to practice. and if he wrecks or brakes something, well then thats gonna cost additional.

I know they also require new brake bads for each race.

Some of these drives have sponsors and scales and all the fine tuning equipment.

I highly doubt my son will have a chance to win, but he wants to try it.

The speeds of these races range from 18 mph to 27 mph.

I have been told to have him practice and work up to that speed, so that he dont crash.

Sporty
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

Unfortunately NDR is not around us. SBD is, and I'm working on checking them out. We have junior dragsters, but they are big bucks.
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

Okay, I found one of a couple sites that mentions polishing and lubing the axle(spindle).
- Spindles should be polished and lubricated on your car. Although the wheels rotate on bearings, the heavy vibration of the car on the asphalt road will cause the bearing collar to slip on the spindle. If the spindle is clean, polished and lubricated with light oil the collar can slip on the spindle. For every amount of slippage on the spindle the wheel is gaining distance on the track. Slippage on a 900 foot track may only be an inch or less but that can mean several inches to several feet of travel distance on the track that hopefully your competitor is not gaining. Spindles can be polished with rubbing compounds (by hand only) or by using 3000 grit or finer emery cloth.
Sporty, do you clean and lube your bearings in the wheel, or do you remove the bearing.

Lastly, what is the general opinion for the best cubmobile wheel height. I can see where a taller wheel would help with irregularities on the ramp and track, but is there a real benefit to a taller wheel with the minimal speeds of these cars? I don't like the little lawnmower wheels. I'm talking more the range from 8-12", and all else being equal.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I will pm you with a reply to your questions

Sporty