Flyweight Construct Underway

Discussions related to building cubmobiles.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Flyweight Construct Underway

Post by Teeeman »

Ordering parts for this design today, trying to see what happens with lightweight approach, will start with 8" wheels, will swap on 10" and see what happens...

-Terry

"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Flyweight Construct Underway

Post by sporty »

I hope that the new design and idea work out. Keep us posted on the testing and the results from the race.

Also, thanks for posting and sharing your design images. Nice work !

Sincerely,

Sporty
SuperDave

Post by SuperDave »

A caution perhaps. Nothing in the pictures appears to limit the ability of this design to turn very sharply. Such a turn makes the vehicle unstable and puts the driver at risk of a very nasty spill.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

There appears to be a steering restriction block on the right side of the front axle in the pictures where the seats are green, but not in the ones where the seats are yellow.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
SuperDave

Post by SuperDave »

Good eyes! I agree, that block would do it (and should be in both pictures). Another issue I thought of overnight is that lovely aerodynamic front end. Lord help what it hits! One easy fix, not perfect but a lot better, would be to hollow it out so that from the top it looks like a long thin box. The result in a crash would hopefully be that the sides bow out and slow the car over some distance.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

The "in one pic, not another" is just a pixel issue with the software... the block is actually in both shots.

Front end was tapered from the bottom last night for ramp transition clearance and a grab handle added.

Final touches tonight will involve spacing the steering block by assessing the resultant max allowable turn angle on the front axle and to add the steering rope.

Then off to make drawings so things will go quick Sat and Sunday in the garage.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation