Solid Axles

Discussions related to building cubmobiles.
rdlongsc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Solid Axles

Post by rdlongsc »

I have been thinking of making wooden axles with a solid 0.5" rod by routing a 0.5" diameter groove into two 28" 1 x 4 and then gluing the three pieces together. I would use epoxy in the groove to bond wood to steel and TiteBond III to glue the top and bottom wood pieces together. If clamped and allowed to cure, the axle would be stronger than a 2 x 4 version. Has anyone tried something like this? It would seem to make the issue of axle alignment go away and would be stronger and cheaper than trying to mount a short solid rod on each end of the 2 x 4 axle.

We have not had District races here for the past seven years, but have one planned for Spring 2008. My Pack and a few others are building cars this Fall and will hold a joint race as a tune-up in early November. I have built a prototype car using the BSA plans as the base and am working on building the ramp now. The axle with lag bolts seems to be the weak link structurally. It will also be hard for lots of dens to get the holes drilled straight. Not eveyone has a floor standing drill press in their garage.

CM P505
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Solid Axles

Post by sporty »

I do not see why it would not work, it's certainly worth a try.

Some methods of build are due to the rules. Howevewr, many packs simply have different rules.

Please keep in mind, that two of the other issues of alignment have to do with alignment from the frame to the crossmembers and crossbinding.

Send me a private im, with you're e-mail addy. I will toss you a copy of my 60 + manual for the Cubmobile. It might help you out.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Solid Axles

Post by sporty »

rdlongsc,

Did the manual help you out and what did you think ?

I was hoping to see some pictures posted soon !

Sincerely,

Sporty