Push Cart Derby :?:

Discussions related to building cubmobiles.
Philzer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Push Cart Derby :?:

Post by Philzer »

Hello folks.
I am a parent of a Tiger, actually Scoutmaster for my older son's unit.
Every year your District host's a pushcart derby, the car's speed is generated by a crew of 3 cubbies pushing while one steer's/drives. They are timed in a figure eight track, solomn, drag heat, and parallel park. Here is the link for our event along with the demension's of the car. Would like everyone's insight and thoughts to building the cart??

http://www.riohondobsa.com/Forms/Pushca ... 1-2008.pdf
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Push Cart Derby :?:

Post by sporty »

13 years Congrats !!!!

I hope many more fun years are ahead !

Well typed and written information, very detailed.

I see Safety in mind and added safety devices or support in the build process.

A picture of a finished one would be great to see.

A few different race venues for the event, sounds pretty neat and fun for the kids.

The only thing i could even think of is a better brake system, depending how fast the kids get running behind it.

You went with small size 7 inch whees, recommended steel. I would likely require steel, to prevent anyone using plastic ones.

Perhaps a added front piece to prevent the kids from pushing into something and the drivers feet be protected better. But with he foot safety board, they may likely have the bottom of there feet rest on that.

pretty good set of plans and design, looks heavy duty with the thicker wood used. axle rods instead of bolts.

nice work !!

Look forward to pictures.

Sporty
Philzer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Philzer »

Thanks sporty,
The unit hosting it was my old unit when I was a cub and scout.
The unit I am serving as scout master and my wife as the cub
master is one where our son's current go to school at. This will be the hosting unit's last time running it. They have asked if anyone in the district would like to host it. Our unit host a belt loop event and we jsut can't expend our parents or resources to host another district wide event.

Thanks again.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Oh on,

Let's hope someone will step up wanting to hold the event or go to a cubmobile, non pushmobile race in your area.

Thats something that people forget, it takes alot of help and ramps and space and work to hold on.

I think thats one of the reason some packs stop holding them.

Then i simply think that, sometimes we all get this vision on how it should be run and all the grandeurs that come to mind.

We sometimes over due it.

It's not like a pinewood derby car or track, small and cheap and portable.

A lot more goes into loading a cubmobile or the ramps.

But in the end, the kids enjoy it much more than a pinewood derby race.

The 1st few years, pinewood derby my oldest son loved it, then grew bored with it.

But he really liked cubmobile and now races soap box derby.

Cost is also a factor, a $5 pinewood derby car, versus a $80-$100 pinewood derby car.

But I know with tungsten and speed parts and goodies for pinewood derby, you can get into spending just as much.

Thanks again for posting and sharing what you all do !

Sporty
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

The suggestions I might offer based on a very quick glance of the car outline:

Since it appears to be standard Cubmobile in terms of platform and steering...

use a linkage to decrease steering response.

If you use standard blocks, the cars won't maneuver. I have a bunch of pics of linkage steered cars on here... you don't have to use an offset seat to use the linkage... apply the idea to a standard seat placement (well, actually you have to move the seat back a bit).

Widen the wheelbase for corners, or at least get the Cub as low in the car as possible... the Cub constitutes about 50% of the mass of the complete vehicle once on it.

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation