Brake issue's Related to steering

Discussions related to building cubmobiles.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Brake issue's Related to steering

Post by sporty »

How many of you have seen A accident or a close call related to braking ?

Often, when the child goes to grab the brake, they are left with one hand to steer.

now with the rope steering system, This also seems to cause uneven foot loading on the front cross member.

Creating a situation where the child begins to not hold a strait line, but sharp veering to the left or right.

I have seen and looked at the steering wheel set up on the other style of cubmobile.

Since I have not seen one in action, does anyone have good pictures or video of this at the finish line ?

I was wondering how much control is still in play with this method, or does the child still have the tendency to veer with the car ?

I know there our some design differences between the two styles.

Have been thinking to take the current standard style and add a steering wheel. But wondered what results I will find.

Thats why I was curious about those who use that steering wheel style, how the braking works ? issues on veering off ?

As the problem may lie with the brake location and overall design. It could also be possible it's a issue with both.

Welcome the input.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Brake issue's Related to steering

Post by sporty »

I started to do a visual and with a doll rod. Started to realize that with the standard design, The brake lever is in the way or to close to the steering wheel.

Likely the brake lever would have to be placed elsewhere. I'll have to think on this summer.

I really need some pictures and videos from others who use the doll rod / steering system.

Please post.

The only photos I have are already on the forum, that design has a floorboard. With a much wider base than a 2x4 or 2x6.

I got some thinking to do on this on. To much design or difficulty or cost will reduce interest and adaptability to the standard cubmobile design.

As the key issue, is the packs already with large numbers or racing using the standard design.

So you could imagine unhappy parents having to redo a cubmobile completely.

Working on a solution, keep you posted.

Sporty
rdlongsc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Brake issue's Related to steering

Post by rdlongsc »

If you are going to a steering wheel instead of foot steering, use a foot operated brake. We had some cars this year use a fairly wide brake centered under the car. Applying the brake lowered a hinged rubber-edged board directly under the seat. The scout's weight was applied right over the brake-street friction point. This seemed to greatly increase steering control while braking.