Building my First Cubmobile

Discussions related to building cubmobiles.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Building my First Cubmobile

Post by AlabamaDan »

I've read everything around here and thanks for all the posting and discussions that have been given so far. I'm building my first cubmobile in the next week. Looks like we're using the same directions from Elective 7, with modifications to use 4x4s for the axles and 2x6s for the length of the frame. I've got a call into the organizer about freedom with modifications.

I like the idea of the seat with sides so boys won't slide off the side of something happens. Does anyone have any detailed designs to share?

I also like the idea of a board, at least on the front, to keep feet from falling underneath if they slip off the axle. Does anyone have any detailed designs to share?

I'd like a better brake design. I like the hockey puck ideas, but those are hard to find down here in the deep South. Anyone got any extra they could mail me? Does anyone have any detailed designs to share?

I'm really excited about this and look forward to your advice.

YiS,
Danny
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Building my First Cubmobile

Post by sporty »

There might be some out on the net, but sorry, no detailed plans for the seat sides or footboard.

What we did was have the driver sit in the seat without the sides and use his body shape and height to make the sides, then add in some curve.

i have seen them look just like a box.

The main thing, like in the manual, is make sure the seat is wide enough for the racers arms / elbows while in racing position.

i like to have atleast 7 to 10 inches high on the seat side front edge. then curve low or whatever you prefer back to 17 1/2 inches high about.

The flooboard, atleast 12 inches long and 18 inches wide. Often you have to angle the board or it will create issues with the front steering bolt.

Just look and read the detailed manuals i have posted, just about everything is in there to build and i thought specs also.

I wiash I had some spares to give you, I am all out, gave some to a few people this year. I find them cheap on e-bay used.

i also thought there was a e-mail addy somewhere I posted to contact the person I use to deal with.

However another option is all american soap box derby brake pads, that you could modify to work.

http://www.soapboxracing.com/browse.cfm/4,9.html" target="_blank

Just look to read the info on axle alignment, triangulation and a cheap tool to do so. these two things and the wheel bearing prep is where your speed will come from.

The bolts and rubber washer spacer and nylon lock nuts are key also. The steering will loosen up as you race if you don't.

Same fro whatever brak you go with, recommend a rubber washer or two to keep it from falling down, while the racer comes down off the ramp or due to vibration during the race.

stiff steering is the best way to go, keep in mind underload it will move easier.

I really think the bushings or brass bushing inserts are the way to go, really prevents wood compression in the steering area.

It can add up fast in cost, but if you follow many of the tips in my manual./ The car will last for years and be a good and safe car with performance also.

60 plus pages is alot to read, but it will really help you on your build.

sporty
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

I will keep an eye out at the local garage sales for old hockey pucks. I was unaware of their many uses. ;) Here in Minnesota they are very common!
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

this e-mail,

use to sell them cheap for cubmobile.

mgeorge15@hotmail

Sporty