Fist Good Wreck... Advice on Pushbars

General cubmobile related topics.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Fist Good Wreck... Advice on Pushbars

Post by Teeeman »

My son's best buddy visited last week, he loved the Cubmobile, but just didn't seem ever to be in control of it...

I worked with him for 20 minutes, and finally he did the worst thing you could do with our offset seat... at top speed, he hard-snatched the steering to turn the car right, and rolled it.

He had a minor scrape or two, nothing bad... scared him pretty good though.

I believe the car would not have rolled so easily with the brick load in the back, but we have it lightened for playing... we also removed the steering stop (my son has never had any trouble controlling the car smoothly, as did several other kids at his Den... I dunno what possessed my son's friend to suddenly snatch the steering like he did!).

The key lesson was the pushbar made an excellent rollbar and kept the car off of him.

It would be advisable, I would think, for all Cubmobiles to have some form of pushbar for purpose of roll protection.

Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
clemsontigerfanatic
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Fist Good Wreck... Advice on Pushbars

Post by clemsontigerfanatic »

Teeeman wrote: ... we also removed the steering stop (my son has never had any trouble controlling the car smoothly, as did several other kids at his Den... I dunno what possessed my son's friend to suddenly snatch the steering like he did!).

Terry
This is why our District makes every body have steering stops with no more than 1/4" clearance. They have been doing it for a lot of years.
If the steering stops arnt right you dont race period.

enough kids enough times somebody is going to get hurt.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Fist Good Wreck... Advice on Pushbars

Post by Teeeman »

I had a steering stop for the race that met the race rules, I removed it for toying around in front of the house.

The boy who wrecked the 'mobile was so skittish with it I doubt the original steering block would have helped him, even though it did meet the restrictions imposed by our rules for how much you could turn the front wheels.

If I were a bit more clairvoyant I would have known to put a block on that nearly eliminates the steering for this boy... that would have been his only prayer 2 weeks ago (laughing!).

I've had about 10 different kids on the car and they all have had no trouble controlling it save this 1 poor little guy... I really felt sorry for him too, he was not happy about the wreck (laughing harder!)... but he was OK after a little care and 2 band-aids... had he been in "race gear" he would have not received more than a good scare.

My lesson learned as a parent is to enforce safety gear for any kid who rides it (I might except my own as that is our choice, but for ANY other kid, full gear or no ride... gloves, helmet, closed shoes -this kid had on open toed velcro summer shoes- , long pants, and the seatbelt snugged to fit properly).

Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation