CMB Rules (particularly weight limits)

General cubmobile related topics.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

CMB Rules (particularly weight limits)

Post by Teeeman »

Our only rules apparently are wheel diameter, wheelbase (axle to axle 4'), overall width, and overall length (5').

One Den lead at our race S-day was astounded to realize we don't have a weight limit.

What types of rules do other folks have that differ from the above?

Thanks!

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: CMB Rules (particularly weight limits)

Post by sporty »

Hpefully, we will get a ton of posts on this one, I have also been curious what rules other packs have.

here is ours -

No weight can be added

only 2x4 or 2x6 can be used, 52 inches long

28 inches wide, crossmember

wheels, axle to axle is 48 inches.

height, not to exceed 17 inches.

The rules also, require - foot safety board, seat sides. seat belt, helmet.

Rope and feet steering only.

10 or 12 inch wheels, no lawn mower wheels (white plastic center)

wooden brake lever

the basic shape and design will resemble the plain image out there.

I know of a couple of packs that go buy simaliar rules.

Steering blocks, 1/4, some allow for 1/2 spacing.

no metal, except for bolts,washers, axle rod or axle bolt and axle mounting bracket. and for mounting seat belt and rope and be mounted with eye hooks.

These rules are basically what the BSA, (cub scouts national council allow and aprove.)

I recently obtained a copy and I am working with the national council on a related porject. (safety)(cubmobile events)

I should also further add there is 3 different types of events for the cubmobile that I am awhare of. 1 the pushmobile event, the stock cubmobile event. 3 the modified event, (they have bodys)

Sporty
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Our cars would probably be placed in unlimited by your rules, Sporty.

Interesting.

Our rules are so open, I wonder what they'd do if we show up with a 3HP engine on ours next year (laughing!).

-Terry
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Their are advantages and dis-advantages to how thee current mixture of events are being held.

I for one, would like to see a more universal system in place. Due to the fact. It would be nice and hope that one day the Cubmobile events at local level can lead to a regional or national type of event.

And the only way for this to be achieved is buy the local packs following the national rules.

My invision is to see Cubmobile in some ways like the PWD events.

The Cubmobile event is open to any scouter, grades 1 through 5. So other Cub Scout packs holding a event, Your child would be allowed to participate in the event.

However, Unless willing to make different Cubmobiles to conform to that packs rules. You would not be axle to participate. Or modify the current cubmobile to comply with that packs rules.

And one of the current problems, is unless you are a committee member or involved directly with scouting. The only way to know about those other Cubmobile events.

Is either buy word of mouth the courrier (scout magazine) Not open to the general public.

Being at round tables to here that information.

Your local pack, may or may not inform the scouters of those other events that the children can go to.

Sporty
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

It would be great to see a "national" ruleset of some form, least a District ruleset that is similar to other events.

If I were king for a day, there would be a weight limit and probably a "4 wheel required, not touching, but required" rule to keep things simple. I would allow for simple joystick steering, but a weight limitation would solve a lot of the "too aggressive" design issues (laughing!).

In a sense, we are setting a bad example to the other teams by building these more complicated cars... the whole point of CMB (I think) as compared to Soap Box is to simplify and economize so any Den or father/son team can both afford and be capable of making an entry.

The goal is father/son interaction and fun... we took it to the next level, and if everyone does, at some point you end up in the mega-bucks, mega-competitive realm that Soap Box has become.

-Terry
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I totally agree.

Sporty
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

Sporty, you are well aware of our cubmobile situation. This is our first year. :D We are the first pack around to have a cubmobile race. Word has gotten out and we have interest from several other packs. I think we will have a lot of eyes on our race this year. I hope it grows into something big.

Our rules were intended to keep things safe, but to spark creativity.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Smell of pine,

Yeppers and I am very excited for you and all the kids that will participate that day. And I hope some of the surrounding packs will take head and follow your packs lead.

Sporty

P.S. Lots of pics are a must ! :lol: