Timing Device

General cubmobile related topics.
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Timing Device

Post by Smell of pine »

When we began to look for a timing device for our cubmobile race, I searched the vendor section and found John Shreffler from www.newdirections.ws . He normally handles PWD timers, but he has been working on a setup for us for a little while now. He has tried to accomodate our needs and should be shipping a new setup to us soon. When I searched the internet for timing devices, most were SBD related and were in the ballbark of $1200. That was more than we wanted to spend. John had a fair price that we could agree on. I believe he plans to market a CMD timing device for those interested.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Timing Device

Post by sporty »

Sounds great.

I was never really interested in a timing one, But it's great that there will be one out there soon.

going wireless ? or running 150 feet of cable ?

If thats all hooked into a software program, thats also pretty awesome.

Double elim race ?

Some college kids and there teacher are builing a finish line light for us, the old one worked good until the sun caused problems.

I think I saw, where i think it was him or someone mentioing using a hose and air. Sounds neat. If thats the one you will be using.

You will have to let us know, how you like it and how it works.

Sporty
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

Since there is quite an outlay of funds this year, we tried to keep the timer as cheap as possible. We will be going with cable. the wireless added a fair amount to the cost. We can always upgrade our system if it deems necessary. I will post my opinion of the system after our race, along with everything else. I have not seen anything like our ramp before either.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

I've been looking into some timing system for Cubmobile as well and would be interested in your thoughts on John's solution to this. I would rather run something other than a elimination method and with timing I could use GPRM!

I was thinking of going with a pressure sensitive mat - like the ones used to alert you when someone comes in the door at a store. Haven't priced anything yet but there are cheap timing circuits that can be built that could be actuated by this sort of thing.

Da Graphite Kid