General cubmobile related topics.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: What do you think ? rules / regs/ building

Post by sporty »

From Jim,

CEO of AASBD.

At this moment the cubmobile in its current structure is not something we want to incorporate into our program. However, with construction and design modifications we would be interested in pursuing this.

We would like to have the cubscouts involved in derby racing, and we should continue discussions on making this happen.

Thank you for your time.

Jim
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

He doesn’t go into any detail on what specifically is not approved of in current BSA style Cubmobile design?

I’d be very interested to learn what the things that could be modified to suit might be…

I would gander to say steering and braking and protection would top the list?

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

All he said was :

We really havent had enough time to devote to design modifications.

So I do not know what they are thinking or where if any issues they mean.

You said the same thing I was thinking.

The steering and brake.

I thought perhaps they want a shell or front safety bar on the front of the CMB.

I see no issue with CMB if they stay with in the speed and distance recommendations.

But, again, they are more than likely trying to run a soap box derby length run.

And that means more speed. But why, I honestly don't think that children at 5 years of age can do it safely !

Thats asking alot of a 5 year old. I am sure there our some out there that could. But not many.

They likely want a BSA / AASBD relationship with the Cubmobile to make things alot easier on the AASBD.

But I dont see that really happening. As we have to keep in mind, that AASBD is about racing.

A CMB event is only a small part of Cub Scouts and not the over all goal.

Yes as I have stated plenty of times. We know I would enjoy a district race. It sounds like if we want one.

The local packs meeting at round table would have to set one up. Trying to get local packs to have uniform rules for that to happen.

Thats even harder without round table, council wanting it. Since BSA, Cub Scout division has no real interest to persue any farther than safety issues.

Sincerely,

Sporty