Timing the runs

General cubmobile related topics.
KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Timing the runs

Post by KLenort »

A stopwatch works, but their has to be a better way. Does anybody know how difficult it would be to hook-up GPRM to a cubmobile race using a snap switch on the starting ramp and either photo-eyes or a air switch (triggered by running over a hose) at the finish line ?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timing the runs

Post by gpraceman »

KLenort wrote:A stopwatch works, but their has to be a better way. Does anybody know how difficult it would be to hook-up GPRM to a cubmobile race using a snap switch on the starting ramp and either photo-eyes or a air switch (triggered by running over a hose) at the finish line ?
As long as the start switch and finish signals will take a parallel port pin from +5V to ground when activated, then you can use GPRM. A simple circuit would be like posted at http://pinewood.newtownbsa.org/document ... atic01.pdf
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

KLenort,
I am assuming that you are only running one cubmobile at a time or that you are only interested in the fastest cubmobile in a heat. I read somewhere else where they were going to use a laser pointer and IR collector to trigger their finish line for each lane. This would be more expensive than just using an IR LED to do so but it did get me thinking of the same situation you are looking into. The only problems that I can see would be the length of wire needed between the start and finish lines (Just how far do cubmobiles race?), and making sure that there would be a vertical surface at the correct height on each cubmobile. The vertical surface would be the easy part as this could be a specification that each cubmobile would have. The longer wires would need something to make up for any voltage loss over such a long distance. If it were done right, I'm guessing that you could use a standard extension cord for most of the distance.

Just some thoughts,
Da Graphiye Kid
KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by KLenort »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:KLenort,
I am assuming that you are only running one cubmobile at a time or that you are only interested in the fastest cubmobile in a heat. The only problems that I can see would be the length of wire needed between the start and finish lines (Just how far do cubmobiles race?), and making sure that there would be a vertical surface at the correct height on each cubmobile. The longer wires would need something to make up for any voltage loss over such a long distance. If it were done right, I'm guessing that you could use a standard extension cord for most of the distance.
Any Electrical Engineers here ? :?: I was originally thinking about using photo-eyes as you had stated for the finish, but how about an air switch?:lol: A rubber tube with a plug in one end and an air switch in the other that would sense a car driving over it. I had a sample made that I will be testing. I would like to try the parallel port configuration per the link above, does the 6v DC battery need to be upsized to accomodate voltage drop going up the hill to the starting switch? If so, how much and do resistors need to be sized differently too ?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

For help with timing races with air-hose clocks, you could find a local sports car club that sponsors timed rallyes. My wife and I are involved only with gimmick rallyes, but other members of The Rallye Club are into timed rallyes, and I know the club has air-hose clocks that are used to time rallyes to the nearest 1/100th of a minute.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I am looking for some info.

I thought I might look into building or donating a light to our local pack.

I need to no tho alot of things-

The have used in the past a laser light that hits a refector, when the beam of light is broken, it striggers the light.

there our lights and laser for each lane..

its like a center post. However I i dont know what to look for parts or to get in building one.

can anyone help

sporty
Tim
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Tim »

You might consider getting a replacement pair of safety beams for a garage door opener. They seem to be about fifty dollars or so.
If the lanes are no wider than 15 or 20 feet, they should work fine.
Tim