Interest in an Inaugural Cubmobile Event - Tips?

General cubmobile related topics.
VWAffe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Interest in an Inaugural Cubmobile Event - Tips?

Post by VWAffe »

Well,

my Cubmaster (I'm the Chair) brought this up earlier this fall, and I think it's a great idea. Our chartered org (our parish) and the local sheriff close the road next to our church every May for a 5k as part of their spring festival.

The idea is to piggyback on the 5k, coordinate to keep the road closed a little longer, and run a cubmobile race after the runners clear the road. The road has a long, gentle hill descending to a 1/2+ mile flat. I imagine we could place the start line anywhere on the hill we needed to prevent unsafe top speeds.

However, we've got a small pack (3 dens, 28 boys, but growing!) and limited parent volunteers. I'm also a committee member at another, much larger "brother" pack where our boys scout (changed schools last year...), and I'd thought we might invite them to join us, and help in the planning and staffing of it. The original idea was to do it once or twice ourselves or with our brother pack, and maybe it'd grow into a district-wide event.

Thing is, the originator of the idea won't take the lead, and I've got enough on my plate. (My wife already told me I can't volunteer to work the council PWD!) I can ask for volunteers, but I'm not sure how it'll go without being able to sell it well... does anyone have any promotional materials I might borrow to help illustrate the fun it could be, and give folks a good idea of the cost of building a Cubmobile? We'd probably have interested dens build one car to race, and let the boys take turns... at least at first.

I know there's another thread on tips for staffing a race, but I'm still in venture capital salesman mode - have to sell the event to get volunteers, and we'll need to get permission from church (no problem there) and sheriff (probably not a problem).
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Interest in an Inaugural Cubmobile Event - Tips?

Post by dna1990 »

Sporty is the likely the be-all on Cubmobile. We have done Pushmobile here, and then outside of scouts - Soap Box Derby.

Being OHIO, I would look around to the Soap Box crowd for help and guidance.

The big issue I see with scout Cubmobile is that even more than Pushmobile, the cost to build is high and then who is going to store and take care of them. This is more an issue with den or pack level shared carts. There is also the expense needed to build a 'good' starting ramp and then again where to store said ramp. (Well you might have a hill that would eliminate the need...but watch top speed and CM, a long hill can generate some speed. SBD kit cars could handle it, but an imperfect steering or high center of gravity Cm car could spell big wreck or lack of braking)

Can it be small and cheap and simple? Probably. But don't underestimate the work to prepare and then safely pull such an event off.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

You in ohio, the soap box derby home.

I woudl think, you could get enough people or support for older outdated racers, to run for a race.

However, cubmobile is still a great scout race and fun to hold and do.

But hard to do a decent cubmobile for udner $100, its the wheels, but so many old soap box derby around in ohio. I woudl think somthing could be had or donated for a low cost. the whole cars or parts and pieces.

while cubmobile is simplier and fun, if cost is a issue and a small pack. you could build two or three to race.

here they still have cubmobile racers and many parents and kids build and race them. Fun fun fun.

Sporty
BuzzKill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by BuzzKill »

Check out http://www.pack700.net/2008/10/2008-cubmobile/" target="_blank

We do this event each year. It is a "for fun" event. It is used for the tool requirements, is a great den project, and we get a lot of really creative entries. There are no awards other than a nice participation ribbon. We also typically sell hotdogs, chips, and a drink as a mini fund-raiser. We are about 70 boys stong in 90 dens. So it is quite the event with all the cars and parents and siblings lined up down the race area.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

BuzzKill wrote:Check out http://www.pack700.net/2008/10/2008-cubmobile/" target="_blank

We do this event each year. It is a "for fun" event. It is used for the tool requirements, is a great den project, and we get a lot of really creative entries. There are no awards other than a nice participation ribbon. We also typically sell hotdogs, chips, and a drink as a mini fund-raiser. We are about 70 boys stong in 90 dens. So it is quite the event with all the cars and parents and siblings lined up down the race area.

Nice photos, safety looks inforce and some nice cubmobiles. soudns like a great time for all.

thanks for sharing.

Sporty