Interested in going wireless?

Provides software for Cub Scout Pinewood Derby, Awana Grand Prix, Space Derby, Raingutter Regatta or other similar races. Providing high quality software solutions that will help with planning and conducting your races.

Moderator: gpraceman

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interested in going wireless?

Post by gpraceman »

Anyone interested in going wireless between the timer and computer?

There are some bluetooth adapters available now that make it possible. There's an adapter that would hook to the timer's 9 pin serial connector and then another one would connect to a USB port on your computer.

If you need both devices, the cost would be about $120. If you have a Bluetooth enabled laptop, it would be about $80. With a traditional wired setup (serial cable with a USB to Serial Adapter), your cost is about $40.

Pricier, but it would really allow you to place your computer almost anywhere (transmit range between 150 and 200 ft). The other advantage is that these are plug-in-play whereas USB to Serial Adapters are not, allowing for easier setup.
Last edited by gpraceman on Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Interested in going wireless?

Post by gpraceman »

It looks like I was a bit high on the pricing, so I adjusted the post above to reflect the more reasonable estimate.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
jrz_dad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jrz_dad »

I'm interested...can I get alittle more info about this? PM or email me (jvaughn@elginok.com)

Thanks

James
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jrz_dad wrote:I'm interested...can I get alittle more info about this? PM or email me (jvaughn@elginok.com)
I'm just now getting around to testing this out. I'll let you know how it pans out.
Randy Lisano

dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Hey, we would make that savings up between BT and Serial, just on the duct tape alone...(taping cords safely to the floor) One less cable sound good to me.

I know little about BT, so would like some testing in typical conditions...ie a cafeteria full of fluorescents and about 100 parents every one with cell phones, pda, blackberries, etc. Any of that interference gonna shorten the range?

Is BT a single peer to single peer? Or can it 'broadcast' in some way? If it can broadcast, then having multiple PCs for remote display-only needs could get way cool.

Grin - can we we get it to send times straight to Dad's BT enabled phone....so he doesn't have to squint to see the big screen?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I did check with the manufacturer an here are the reponses (in blue):
dna1990 wrote:I know little about BT, so would like some testing in typical conditions...ie a cafeteria full of fluorescents and about 100 parents every one with cell phones, pda, blackberries, etc. Any of that interference gonna shorten the range?
"bluetooth is very robust, it uses the entire 2.4GHz allowed band, 79 channels, and hops at 1600 times per second. Data is re-transmitted until it is delivered (guaranteed) so it is very solid.

having said that, it does depend on ANT and some PCs only have class2 (50ft) lower power transmitters in them."

dna1990 wrote:Is BT a single peer to single peer? Or can it 'broadcast' in some way? If it can broadcast, then having multiple PCs for remote display-only needs could get way cool.
"sorry , cant do that. but we can do it with WIFI. I have a new WIFI serial adapter coming out. in this mode you can broadcast to millions of nodes if you like. you can send the data anywhere around the world on the internet."
dna1990 wrote:Grin - can we we get it to send times straight to Dad's BT enabled phone....so he doesn't have to squint to see the big screen?
"perhaps, but that would be YOUR job........"

He was referring to me on that last comment, with the GPRM software. I'm not sure I like that scenario, but it would allow the spectators to validate the race results.

I've done some real quick testing and everything checks out fine. This weekend our pack is running races for two other packs, so it will get "battle tested".
dna1990 wrote:Hey, we would make that savings up between BT and Serial, just on the duct tape alone...(taping cords safely to the floor)
LOL, probably so. It is one less cable for someone to trip over.

Now if they only had a wireless adapter for the video projector. I see some on the market, but they are not cheap.
Randy Lisano

jrz_dad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jrz_dad »

gpraceman wrote:
jrz_dad wrote:I'm interested...can I get alittle more info about this? PM or email me (jvaughn@elginok.com)
I'm just now getting around to testing this out. I'll let you know how it pans out.
Thanks!!! I'll wait to hear from ya!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I tested these devices out for two races this weekend. The first race we had no problems at all. The second race we had a small initial problem establishing the connection, but unplugging the Bluetooth dongle from the laptop and then plugging it back in resolved it. After that the communications were solid. That issue may be more with Windows Vista than this device.

I haven't really tested the max communications distance. We are currently limited by our video cable length in where we place the computer. For those two races the computer was about 25 ft from the timer. I have a video extension cable on order to give us more flexibility in computer placement. I should have that cable in time for our next race, which is Friday. I have done some testing from one end of our house to another and had no problems.
Randy Lisano

pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

gpraceman wrote:I tested these devices out for two races this weekend. The first race we had no problems at all. The second race we had a small initial problem establishing the connection, but unplugging the Bluetooth dongle from the laptop and then plugging it back in resolved it. After that the communications were solid. That issue may be more with Windows Vista than this device.

I haven't really tested the max communications distance. We are currently limited by our video cable length in where we place the computer. For those two races the computer was about 25 ft from the timer. I have a video extension cable on order to give us more flexibility in computer placement. I should have that cable in time for our next race, which is Friday. I have done some testing from one end of our house to another and had no problems.
With the WIFI scenario, you would simply set up a WEP encryption key, and then supply that key information to anyone who has a "smartphone" or WIFI enabled device. That will allow the data to flow... the only thing is that I would have NO idea how the data would be interpreted by the device. I know that in the ":test" mode, the data comes in as a string of information, so that might be sufficient with education about what a viewer is looking at.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

Very COOL!

-T
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
kbimler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by kbimler »

Randy,

What ever happened with this idea? Is this the sort of device that you were talking about?

http://www.iogear.com/product/GBS301/

Kurt
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

kbimler wrote:What ever happened with this idea? Is this the sort of device that you were talking about?

http://www.iogear.com/product/GBS301/
That is the type of device. That particular one has some pretty mixed reviews on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Bluetooth ... roduct_top

I had tested one from another manufacturer for several races and it performed well 99% of the time. It did have a couple of times that it lost communication, but whether that was due to the device or Microsoft Windows, I have no idea. I do need to relook at these devices and may carry one in the future. Though, I do need to make sure it will be very reliable across multiple versions of MS Windows and for how people will try to use it.

Once you start substituting high tech (wireless adapters) for low tech (serial port cable) the likelihood of problems increases. The problems just have to be rare and surmountable, so not to cause big problems at a race.
Randy Lisano

jrz_dad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by jrz_dad »

Has there been any progress on this yet?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jrz_dad wrote:Has there been any progress on this yet?
I never got enough confidence in these devices for me to start offering that option.

The last thing that I want is more troubleshooting calls about not having communications with a timer or dropped communications. I get enough of that with USB to Serial Adapters.
Randy Lisano

SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Some cool stuff out there.

Just looked at the IOGear site. Wireless USB looks interesting.
http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWH204KIT/
Wonder if I could plug that into the USB microcontroller development board and make the connection work...

And of course the wireless video and audio kit.
http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWAVKIT/

But $230 for 30' range. Yuck.

I've been envisaging a low power server running LAMP and serving different webpages for registration, officials, timer view, audience display, etc...

Then with a wireless timer, or with the timer wired to the server, it would take WIFI laptops for each function and one for the projector. Possibly hack a NAS device such as this: http://wiki.dns323.info/

If it was all LAMP server based, you could have WAP based pages for anyone with mobile devices to browse race data and results.

I think I've sufficiently outed myself as a compu-geek wannabe.
Last edited by SlartyBartFast on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.