New DerbyWorx Tools - Now Available!

From pinewood derby car designs to a kits, wheels, decals and more, Maximum Velocity has everything you need to win your pinewood derby car race.

Moderator: MaxV

MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

New DerbyWorx Tools - Now Available!

Post by MaxV »

DerbyWorx has just introduced two new tools, and they are now available at Maximum Velocity.

- Pro-Body Jig - Essentially a dual Pro-Body tool, the Pro-Body Jig accurately sets and holds the distance between the front andback axles when drilling axle holes. You can find it at:
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/special ... ro-bodyjig

- Pro-Rail Rider Tool - While working with the Pro-Axle Press, the Pro-Rail Rider Tool puts precise bends in axles for alignment adjustment and/or for running with angled axles. You can find it at:
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/special ... #railrider

We continue to clear our inventory on a few items. Click here to find our clearance items:
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/inventory.htm
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Re: New DerbyWorx Tools - Now Available!

Post by RACER X »

Many thanks to Randy of Max-V for helping get the word out about these 2 exciting new products.

We will be releasing all of the new season info shortly.

Many Thanks to all.

Racer X
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
Nooby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Nooby »

The rail rider tool looks interesting. Every time I bend nails I get a different result - this should help bring more consistency to us novice builders. I've already ordered one.

Not so sure how I feel about the body jig. I've always thought that the body tool placed the axles too low in the body - causing the CM to be too high. From what I gather this is so that the axles appear to be placed in the slot. Looks like a lot of money for a modified body tool - not sure if selling two of them connected by bar really gives that much value. And if I really wanted a "jig" why would I want the disassemble it for drilling the raised wheel? Why not have the raised hole drilled at the same time as the others? It might require a third tool to accommodate rules that prohibit raising a front wheel.

-Why not sell the modified tool as a single unit? Don't see how maintaining the spacing is that critical - especially when you loose the spacing when you drill the raised wheel.

Like the idea of more precise bending for steering adjustment. However, I would prefer not to bend for canting the rear wheels. Maybe next year a pro body tool with canted holes for the rears. Maybe your
jig could accommodate a fourth and fifth tools for selecting the cant of the rear wheels - now you might be getting some value.

I'd also put detents or other markings for the common spacings - maxed and Cub Scout standard.
:lol:
"Nooby"
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

This looks to be a great tool for the beginner to the RR experience....But are there other angles in the works or are these the best to angles for RR
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

The rail rider tool looks interesting. Every time I bend nails I get a different result - this should help bring more consistency to us novice builders. I've already ordered one.

Not so sure how I feel about the body jig. I've always thought that the body tool placed the axles too low in the body - causing the CM to be too high. From what I gather this is so that the axles appear to be placed in the slot.
There seems to be a misunderstanding. The new Pro-Body Jig drills the holes much higher than the Pro-Body Tool. In fact, you can't drill slots with the Pro-Body Jig. There is more information about this at:
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/pro-bodyjig.htm
And if I really wanted a "jig" why would I want the disassemble it for drilling the raised wheel?
You do not need to dissassemble the tool to drill the raised hole. (See previously referenced web page)
-Why not sell the modified tool as a single unit?
The cost of the material, additional machining, and shipping of a single large piece of aluminum would be cost prohibitive. Besides, the adjustibility allows builders to choose the spacing they desired (standard, extended, and everything in-between.[/url]
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Nooby wrote:The rail rider tool looks interesting. Every time I bend nails I get a different result - this should help bring more consistency to us novice builders. I've already ordered one.

Not so sure how I feel about the body jig. I've always thought that the body tool placed the axles too low in the body - causing the CM to be too high. From what I gather this is so that the axles appear to be placed in the slot. Looks like a lot of money for a modified body tool - not sure if selling two of them connected by bar really gives that much value. And if I really wanted a "jig" why would I want the disassemble it for drilling the raised wheel? Why not have the raised hole drilled at the same time as the others? It might require a third tool to accommodate rules that prohibit raising a front wheel.

-Why not sell the modified tool as a single unit? Don't see how maintaining the spacing is that critical - especially when you loose the spacing when you drill the raised wheel.

Like the idea of more precise bending for steering adjustment. However, I would prefer not to bend for canting the rear wheels. Maybe next year a pro body tool with canted holes for the rears. Maybe your
jig could accommodate a fourth and fifth tools for selecting the cant of the rear wheels - now you might be getting some value.

I'd also put detents or other markings for the common spacings - maxed and Cub Scout standard.
:lol:
\

Well: the Pro Body Tool 2 is designed to work with with or with out slots, some packs specify slots must be used, some would like a lower CG, so mount your weights lower in the body, build a belly pan, be creative, they do not have to be flush. Also please keep in mind that if we made it lower and then one was to use a Pinecar weight plate they would more than likely be DQ'ed for the car being to low or maybe not able to race at all, it has to work for everyone with in reason. The new Pro Body Jig is designed for the more experienced builder. It has the holes raised from .088" to .170" so it is not recommended for slots or builders who cannot flush mount the weights. As far as the raised wheel, just place the tool on the side of the block, there is no dis-assembly required. The bar (ground tool steel) gives to tool accuracy front to rear insuring the axle holes are straight and mounting them with set screws gives the builder the option of any wheel base he desires. There are several additional things we could of done with this tool, but we wanted to keep it at a reasonable price. We did have to add 2 additional machining operations to the existing Pro Body Tool 2 not including the bar slot for added accuracy of the tool, so it is not just a Pro Body Tool 2 with a set of higher holes and a cross bar.

As far as canting the rear, you will always need some form of adjustment on all 4 or 3 wheels, even if canted at the body and a controlled bend of the axles is easy and works well for everyone regardless of if they have a track to test on or not.

There will be a video soon that demonstrates this.

Race Fast

Racer X

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Hey Bill,

You might want to consider having a model where you can drill the raised hole without unclamping/reclamping. Just have one of the Pro-Body tools have one hole slightly raised from the other. Otherwise, I think this tool is excellent and isn't too expensive.

On the wheelbase. I do agree that it is nice to have this adjustable. Our pack and district rules do not require using the slots, but we have to stick with the standard wheelbase. Our Awana rules allow for extended wheelbase, so we could use the same jig for both.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Thanks Randy,

We debated just adding the raised hole to one corner, but several things out weighed it. 1, We are seeing plenty of groups that have a 4 wheel touching rule. (Can be a tough one) 2, Some like the left raised, some like the right so this way you can build it your way. 3. The raised hole is not a critical hole to alignment so moving or rotating the tool will not effect the alignment.

Race Fast

Racer X

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

RACER X wrote:We debated just adding the raised hole to one corner, but several things out weighed it. 1, We are seeing plenty of groups that have a 4 wheel touching rule. (Can be a tough one) 2, Some like the left raised, some like the right so this way you can build it your way.
What about a model with a double set of holes for one of the jig ends? or would the spacing between the sets of holes be too close?
RACER X wrote:3. The raised hole is not a critical hole to alignment so moving or rotating the tool will not effect the alignment.
Understood, but it is more convenient if you don't have to unclamp/re-clamp.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Nooby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Nooby »

RACER X wrote:
Well: the Pro Body Tool 2 is designed to work with with or with out slots, some packs specify slots must be used, some would like a lower CG, so mount your weights lower in the body, build a belly pan, be creative, they do not have to be flush. Also please keep in mind that if we made it lower and then one was to use a Pinecar weight plate they would more than likely be DQ'ed for the car being to low or maybe not able to race at all, it has to work for everyone with in reason. The new Pro Body Jig is designed for the more experienced builder. It has the holes raised from .088" to .170" so it is not recommended for slots or builders who cannot flush mount the weights. As far as the raised wheel, just place the tool on the side of the block, there is no dis-assembly required. The bar (ground tool steel) gives to tool accuracy front to rear insuring the axle holes are straight and mounting them with set screws gives the builder the option of any wheel base he desires. There are several additional things we could of done with this tool, but we wanted to keep it at a reasonable price. We did have to add 2 additional machining operations to the existing Pro Body Tool 2 not including the bar slot for added accuracy of the tool, so it is not just a Pro Body Tool 2 with a set of higher holes and a cross bar.

As far as canting the rear, you will always need some form of adjustment on all 4 or 3 wheels, even if canted at the body and a controlled bend of the axles is easy and works well for everyone regardless of if they have a track to test on or not.

There will be a video soon that demonstrates this.

Race Fast

Racer X
I guess I could see value of just buying one of the tools without the other parts of the jig. Our current rules require using slots - with the nails visible for inspection - your current tool does a good job there. In a previous council, we drilled our own holes - which allowed lower weight placement.

Great story about your Pro Body tool - 3 years ago my neighbor approached me the day before the race to help with their car - I cut the body on my band saw - used the pro body tool for holes, and removed the burr on the nail head. Half hour of work - and the car won the tiger den and came in 7th overall. This scouts brother had never won a race - probably the most product half hour of work in my life.
"Nooby"
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

gpraceman wrote:
RACER X wrote:We debated just adding the raised hole to one corner, but several things out weighed it. 1, We are seeing plenty of groups that have a 4 wheel touching rule. (Can be a tough one) 2, Some like the left raised, some like the right so this way you can build it your way.
What about a model with a double set of holes for one of the jig ends? or would the spacing between the sets of holes be too close?
Maybe next year, the reason we did it the way we did is to keep from having more part numbers (a front & rear body tool) It makes the tool bi-directional. :D
RACER X wrote:3. The raised hole is not a critical hole to alignment so moving or rotating the tool will not effect the alignment.
Understood, but it is more convenient if you don't have to unclamp/re-clamp.
:roll:

Racer X
Last edited by RACER X on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

RACER X wrote: :roll:

Racer X
And here I thought you were receptive to some honest feedback. :roll:
Randy Lisano

RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

gpraceman wrote:
RACER X wrote: :roll:

Racer X
And here I thought you were receptive to some honest feedback. :roll:
I always am, try one first! :lol:

RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

PPShop wrote:Wouldn't using bent axles be counter productive on the rear of the car? If you bend the axle then it wouldn't matter how accurate your drilled hole was would it? Or am I envisioning this wrong. :oops:
You always need the best foundation you can get, then fine tune from there. I think the video we will have out soon will be helpful.

Race Fast

Racer X

quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

I think it will be a great tool. I really like the idea of raising the axles up and tucking the weight inside the body, but still below the axles. :thumbup:

Ordered one the first day ! :wink: