Referb of an old gate

Solenoid start gates make for consistent heat starts.
tommydenton
Apprentice
Apprentice

Referb of an old gate

Post by tommydenton »

I have an old start gate that fits perfect on the track, etc.

The guts of the gate were damaged by a fall, no scouts were harmed in the fall.

https://cl.ly/ca5d798ce08b

The Solenoid is this one. https://guardian-electric.com/PDF/Model ... lenoid.pdf - Specifically A420-066844-00

I know it works cause I have a 24 vdc power supply that is 2 amps and one that is 10 amps. If I move the springs out of the way and give power to the solenoid it pulls up the gate and all is good. But if the springs are in place I get no movement, just a buzz.

The old circuit had a mosfet, capacitor, potentiometer, by the time I got the project I could not make heads or tails of the setup, numbers are missing and pathways were broken. I am pretty sure this was just for the timing of the reset of the gate, but must be missing something.

I have tried to read the diagrams for the other posts but failed. I have two questions to start with.

1. The Solenoid used to pull up the gate with the current springs. It will hold if I manually pull the gate up. Is the Solenoid not getting enough current to do its job?
2. Do I have to have the mosfet and capacitor to make this thing work?

I am going to be controlling with the GPIO pins off a raspberry pi so I don't need the timing part as I will control that in code. (I think)

Thank you,

Tommy Denton
Pack 519, Benbrook, Texas
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Referb of an old gate

Post by bracketracer »

It does sound like it's not getting enough current but 10a should be more than enough looking at the spec sheet. If you power it and slowly raise the gate by hand, does it ever snatch it open or does it only hold it once you get it open? I see the solenoid has a plastic guide for the plunger, might the guide sleeve have gotten gouged in the fall? If it's binding it might be too much for the solenoid to overcome?
tommydenton
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Referb of an old gate

Post by tommydenton »

If I help it up it does engage. I just wrote this to the company that makes the device... Maybe this helps everyone here.

I have a T12x19 Tubular Solenoid. A420-066844-00

If I remove the springs then I get full actuation. This confuses me greatly, but after fighting it for a couple of weeks I am coming to you hat in hand asking for some help.

If I feed the device more amps will it pull harder? or do I have to figure out lighter springs? I have included a picture.

The circuit is pretty simple. 24v 10amp power supply connected to a capacitor that is connected to the ground. The positive output of the 24v, 10a power supply is also connected to a diode and the solenoid.

The "negative" of the solenoid is then connected to the drain of a mosfet, and the ground to ground.

I have a 24v switch to be able to bypass the mosfet if needed.

Springs on, with assistance the solenoid will pull and hold all day long. No springs it will pull and hold all day long. Springs and no assistance it will not actuate. My assistance is to move the plunger up 1/2 an inch and then it will grab.

Any help would be appreciated.