Computer prompted start

Solenoid start gates make for consistent heat starts.
pineisfine
Apprentice
Apprentice

Computer prompted start

Post by pineisfine »

I'm researching starters and was curious if people also like having the capability of computer prompted starts?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Computer prompted start

Post by gpraceman »

pineisfine wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:24 pm I'm researching starters and was curious if people also like having the capability of computer prompted starts?
Personally, I prefer to control the pace of the race from the start gate, not from the computer. I run the race management software in hands-free mode, kick it off and then walk away from the computer. I do use a solenoid gate with a handheld remote switch to start each heat. I actually have the racer in the first lane of each heat come up and push the release button. They enjoy getting to do that.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Randy, whose solenoid do you have on your personal track and whose solenoid did Ford have on their track?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Speedster wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:08 am Randy, whose solenoid do you have on your personal track and whose solenoid did Ford have on their track?
I've used the ESS solenoid gate on my track and for the Ford and Subaru races that I have helped run. It's been a dependable unit. Easy to mount to a Best Track, not so easy to a Micro Wizard track but I made it work. I have just a 6ft starter cord, which is plenty long. A 50ft cord is rather unnecessary, IMO.

I am a bit intrigued by the new Best Track gate, but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Thank You.