Cubmobile Timing

Commercial timing systems
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Cubmobile Timing

Post by Smell of pine »

This area is not my strong suit. I'm looking for recommendations on what we could use or what we'd need to time a cubmobile race. We should have access to a laptop. We can always revert back to hand held stop watches, but I'm looking for more accurate timing. Cost is an issue. We are seeking sponsorship, but I'd like a parts list and cost before we present our request.

thanks
Tinbendr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cubmobile Timing

Post by Tinbendr »

Since you already confess that electronics is NOT your strong side, I think the prefabed is then, the other option.

Having made that assumption, I would just peruse the timer’s websites, taking notes and decide what you want in a system. Then you can start nailing down a price.
Smell of pine
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Smell of pine »

Would it be much cheaper to piece together my own timing system? If basically spelled out, I could probably fab something up.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Wow, grrr.

I have been looking around for a few hours now.

I cant seem to find anyone who sells a finish line light (winner) for Cubmobile race.

Must be no one is selling one. Cant seem to find in plans for one either.

Where is all those awesome electronic people that tinker, and know how to build one.

Yikes, alot on PWD Stuff on tracks.

2 lane, 4 foot wide lanes, 2 foot space in center. Beam height is like 10 inches off the ground.

A tree light, first one who breaks the beam, is the winner. Light goes off on that side of the track. Like a (T) hince a tree light.

I looked at a few diagrams. ewww. Does not do me much help. limited parts list and where to buy.

So help is needed.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

You can check out the Do-It-Yourself timers listed below. If you do a serial port timer, you will need to contact the person who created the timer to make sure it will support timing out to what you need it. Usually these timers stop timing after 10 seconds, which is plenty of time for a PWD race, but not a cubmobile race.

At the finish line, you will probably need to use something like a laser pointer and compatible sensor with whatever timer you build.

http://grandprix-race-central.com/modul ... page&pid=5
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Thanks,

I looked at that link and even readh and viewed the diagrams,

the problems is, that info is for a PWD.

I have no clue at to what diode or laser would work best for 4 foot.

Not really needing a timing system.

Just when the beam brakes, it trips a light on for the lane that one.

That one diagram I looked at was from 1999. for the PWD race.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Try the plans listed at http://home.simplyweb.net/bosworth/timers&.htm. Your challenge will be coming up with a finish line sensor to use with that circuit.

A laser pointer and compatible sensor would work with that circuit. You may be able to use their photo sensor schematic and just substitue laser pointers for the infrared LED's.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
RandyUnderwood
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by RandyUnderwood »

Last year I built exactly what you are describing - laser pointers aiming at photo detectors - basically the standard parallel port timer you see on the forums but using laser pointers instead of IR LEDs.

I had two problems with this approach:

1 - aiming - our course wasn't the flattest and although i built the laser pointers and photo-receptors with some adjustment screws the play wasn't enough - I had to rig it with duct tape and paper towels to get the aim right. Additionally, it was very difficult to ensure that laser beams of both lanes were at the same distance from the starting line; since our large number of scouts (three packs worth) and time constraints prevented each scout racing in each lane - this is important.

2 - bad driving - about half way through the racing the scouts started plowing into the equipment - even though they were protected by standing them off of the race lane as far as possible and putting them behind bales of hay - this caused serious delays to the racing as the lasers and detectors have to be reaimed after each bump or crash - which was made more significant due to the aiming problems I mentioned above. About two thirds of the way through racing - one young (very accurate) scout nailed the photo-detector assembly - shattering the wood into splinters - out came the stop watches.

I think this is a worthy endeavor - good luck - make sure you get photo detectors that are not sensitive to sunlight - they are a little more expensive but if your course is not in the shade - your timer will be useless.

Randy Underwood
Choptank District
Derby Chair
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

I made a custom timer for a cubmobile group last spring. Although it is possible to use coded light to detect the finish, I found it was much more practical to use air hoses and pressure switches. The vinyl tubing is very inexpensive at Home Depot. One little hint: Use a larger diameter, either 1/2" or 5/8" for the tube the car hits, and reduce it to 1/8" to transmit to your electronics. Stretch and hold it to the pavement by drilling and using plastic drywall insert, and nylon ties.

The timer was all built into a hand held black box with batteries and pressure switches. It featured two displays which gave the time of each lane to .00001 seconds. A much cheaper approach would be to use a pair of lights to indicate winner. The start signal was tranmitted from a magnetic switch on the ramp, using common #22 speaker wire. I had suggested a wireless method: Use of tone coded signals transmitted by cell phone. However, the wired version was chosen to keeps costs down.

The design details are available free for the asking.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
RandyUnderwood
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by RandyUnderwood »

John I was thinking about trying something like that last year but decided to go with the things i knew - electronics - I would love to make a better system this year - please post the part numbers for the pressure switches and any design details / notes you think are relevant. THANKS !!!
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

John,

Thanks for the offer of the plans - I sent you a pm so you could e-mail me the plans.

I looked into this last year and thought that the easiest and most robust way to detect a finish order or time would be to use one of those pressure sensitive mats like are used in stores. You know, the black mats you walk on a somewhere a bell goes "bong!" letting the store owner know that someone came in or left. Can't remember web site addresses and if I saved any, they would be on my work PC so I don't have access to them right now. These would be mounted on sheets of plywood which would work in either a flat parking lot or an off-road course.

By the way, if you are looking for a ready-built system search for Soap Box Derby Timers, but these are expensive! I don't think that they give you a run time but could possibly be modified to do so. They use a light system (IR or Laser) and would also be susceptible to a "very accurate scout". This is why I like the pressure mats or John's air pressure idea as they would be far harder to break and far easier to set up.

Da Graphite Kid