Microswitch - older Judge timer

Commercial timing systems
Sandsled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Microswitch - older Judge timer

Post by Sandsled »

Looking for suggestions for a suitable start gate micro switch to use on an older Judge timer I picked up recently. I'm hoping to find something local I can pick up over the weekend at the usual suspects Radio Shack, Ace, HD, Lowes. Would hobby stores be a likely shop?

My old candy store, You Do It Electronics is no longer local since I moved.

Thanks!

Sandsled
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Microswitch - older Judge timer

Post by gpraceman »

Sandsled wrote:Looking for suggestions for a suitable start gate micro switch to use on an older Judge timer I picked up recently. I'm hoping to find something local I can pick up over the weekend at the usual suspects Radio Shack, Ace, HD, Lowes. Would hobby stores be a likely shop?

My old candy store, You Do It Electronics is no longer local since I moved.
Best bet would be to check with John from New Directions and see what he recommends. He's a member of this board, so you could PM him.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Sandsled
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sandsled »

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the followup. I was just trying to find something locally. I've read many of the discussions on accuracy and consistency of micro -v- laser -v- magnetic in these forums (which are a tremendous resource :bigups: ) and just figured there might an easy local option.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

I don't recommend micro switches, and supply only magnetic switches with my equipment. Micro switches are not hermetic allowing H2O and O2 to enter. Internally, the BeCu contacts start out bright orange, but slowly turn brown, then black and finally become unworkable for switching very low currents.

By contrast, a magnetic switch is truly hermetic, with the contacts embedded in a glass tube filled with Argon or Nitrogen. They stay shiny forever. I have never had a field failure with magnetic. Plus, they are not critical to mount. Like a hand grenade, close is good enough. A bit more expensive, but well worth it.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge