rs 232 cable, more questions

Commercial timing systems
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

rs 232 cable, more questions

Post by sporty »

k, a awhile back i made my own for p3lcd timer, but the ends looks [crummy] and the wires broke easy.

I bought 9 pin rs 232 cable and the darn thing does not work, yet my own i made does.

if there a issue ? or do only the 2 and 5 wire sockets can be used and the others just cause issues ?

since I have to wait to get window7 working with this, went back to the older laptop and then faced issues there also.
Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: rs 232 cable, more questions

Post by gpraceman »

Maybe you bought a direct connect serial cable, one intended to connect two computers together. These have pins 2 and 3 swapped at one end. You need a straight through wired cable. For a timer, the pins they use are 2, 3 and 5, with pin 5 being ground. If you have a multimeter, you can check the connector ends for continuity for each pin.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Ahh this sounds like what I have going on.

Mr Wizard has gave a great reply in helping me resolve this issue. Thank You randy.

That is something that would never have crossed my mind.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

The direct connect cables seem to me to be more available locally than the straight through ones. It is even tougher to find ones locally that are longer than 6ft.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

After you said that.
I went and took mine apart in a away I coudl reuse the housing and then just cut all the wires and just connected the two wires I needed for the same and both ends.

Now I have a working cable with nice connectors. I did order some housing for my home made one for a back up.

Sporty