How do packs raise funds for timers?

Commercial timing systems
ChCarver
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do packs raise funds for timers?

Post by ChCarver »

Yes, I'm so green that need even the green horn buds had sprouted yet. The pack my son attends is a small pack considering the size of other area packs. We use a basic wooden track that I plan to overhaul this year. It needs some serious TLC as it's been passed down through the years.

1) What are really good ways packs can raise money to purchase track timers? Currently our popcorn sales cover normal pack operating costs.
2) Have you found that local donations from area businesses helped?
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How do packs raise funds for timers?

Post by pack529holycross »

You can do several things to offset....

If you cover recharter each year....consider having parents pay this year... Explaining that the additional funds earned through popcorn soul be used for track upgrades... Sell food at the event... Hotdigs, chips, drinks.... /// buy blocks and wheels in bulk @ 3.00 per set, drill all the holes for the blocks, and sell to pack @ reg cost... Everyone gets consistent block to start with, and funds can offset trophies
jgedmin81
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jgedmin81 »

http://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2448" target="_blank

Read up a bit. There are low cost DIY options and plenty of help on this board. Ask around the parents in your pack if anyone is good with electronics.

Passing the hat never hurts either.
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scoremaker »

You might want to do a yard sale you know everyone has something to give away or to donate, or a Car Wash. I know one Pack did a gold fish booth at a fall festivals or at a craft show you can always ask a pet store to donate the gold fish, all you have to do is get the balls, bowls and bags for the fish. I know they just charge a $1.00 for 4 balls to play. If I come up with more ideas I'll post them.
PeteA
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PeteA »

My son's troop/pack started with an old 2 lane track that they "rented" out to area packs w/out tracks. The scouts would setup, stage the races, do crowd control and take down track. Until last year proceeds were used to fund summer camp scholarships. That years proceeds paid for a new 4 lane track and timer setup and minor scholarships. You really need a timer to do this right from the start. If someone buys the timer, pay them back first.
http://www.boisetroop33.org/BT33/pinewood.cfm" target="_blank
As mentioned above we also do an annual yard sale. last yrs sale totaled $561. Another event we do is a hot dog sale at a local supermarket. The store (Fred Meyer) is great in that they donate the meat. We provide buns and soda
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Those are all good ideas. Turning the derby into a Fund-Raiser via food sales also works well IMO.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

rpcarpe wrote:Turning the derby into a Fund-Raiser via food sales also works well IMO.
Very many good suggestions. Concessions sales at the derby itself can be great revenue source (although it might be difficult if your unit is small). Other possibilities:

1. Your unit's equipment ultimately belongs to the charter organization. Therefore, approach your charter organization for a donation (and offer to pay them back over time via fundraising if necessary), or see if they will provide matching funds for whatever you raise, etc. It may be easier for people to see the value of a timer once you have it, which could help with fund raising at the derby itself.

2. Consider a timer kit that requires extra assembly to save money. I have purchased, assembled, and donated a couple of kits to our affiliated units over the years without timers. If you go this route, a display timer would likely cost a few hundred dollars; those without displays are even less.

3. Every little bit helps - perhaps charge a small registration fee per car and explain what the expense is going toward. Conduct adult and sibling races and maybe charge a bit more. Discuss options with your pack committee.

4. Focus on growing your unit. It is easier whenever there are more people who can share the burden of expenses.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

FatSebastian wrote:2. Consider a kit that requires extra assembly to save money. I have purchased, assembled, and donated a couple of kits to our affiliated units over the years without timers. If you go this route, a display timer would likely cost a few hundred dollars; those without displays are even less.
An even better budget solution is their Cheap Kit with Computer Serial Interface. For $60 you get the electronics, you solder them together and build an enclosure. For $20 more, they will do the soldering for you. You end up with a good quality timer (up to 4 lanes) for cheap and with the computer interface, you can use race management software to help run your race. The timer displays finish order via flashing LED's or times via the computer interface.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

If your track happens to be 3 Lane with 3.5" between centerlines, and you don't need computer interface, I have a bunch of vintage Judges taken in on trade, and you can have one for $6 for the postage. They are taking up too much space here. http://www.newdirections.ws" target="_blank
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
Derby Evolution
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Derby Evolution »

WOW! That is a great offer John!
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

that is an amazing offer... take it!
If I needed a timer, I'd be all over it.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Louie41
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Louie41 »

we've done bake sales, silent auctions at B&G with lots of donations, candy bar sales (large box from Wholesale club) do pretty good. Our pack runs 25-30 boys. normally the candy bar sales is offered to help parents offset camping fees but you could stipulate what the funds go towards. Food sales on PWD race day are usually just enough to cover trophies and other expenses. We're about to have our B&G and our silent auction has been posted to facebook for first time and local businesses have jumped at opportunity to donate items. it's this weekend and items on facebook are already approaching $400. I'm hoping they'll be able to get new four lane track for our timer we purchased couple years back for our old two lane track. anyways hopes this helps.
Last edited by Louie41 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

Mr. Sheffler,

I know the offer was not made towards myself, but if it is available I would love to take advantage of it. We have an old wooden track and are a small pack. Our track is 4 lanes though, could we just run 3 or would the Judge not fit over the lanes? If you don't have any available, I totally understand. That was a very generous offer you made. It is good to see an adult exhibiting what we are trying to teach our youth.

Our pack members realized how important a judging system is after our last PWD. We had a lot of close racing and the spotters were stressed out! I ran the heats because I knew I didn't want to make those tough calls. Luckily we had a camera on the track, there was a lot of replays.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

Wow! That was a fast clear out of old equipment. No more old Judges left here, very few pieces in the junk bin. If anyone missed out, check back next summer.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
msurebel
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by msurebel »

I took our old timer and case, took some blue duct tape and made a display out of it and the case. I put a sign on it, "donations for derby timer", at our Blue-Gold banquet. After all the problems at this derby race with our timer, we knew it would be fresh on their minds. LOL Anyway, I had a parent come up to me and ask how much a new timer would cost? After I told him, he gave me his card and told me to call him when I'm ready to buy it and he and he would pay for it!!! Problem solved.

Now to figure out what timer I want. We have an older model Newbold and I like the versatility of the sensors but after our problems this year and after recommending them to another pack that had the same problem, I'm a little gun shy.

Input welcomed, but at least our method of payment is solved!!!