"No response received from timer" after one heat...HELP!

Commercial timing systems
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

"No response received from timer" after one heat...HELP!

Post by race#67 »

Ok, I know it is sad I am posting on Christmas, but this is driving me crazy!
I have my brother coming in this weekend and we planned to have a test / family race this weekend. I have a newly assembled Microwizard K2 timer, and a best track running GPRM software. All items are new and I am setting them up for the first time.

After assembling the timer I had it running and actually did a manual test of my entire pack with no track, just triggering the start switch by hand. No issues.

I assembled the track and started testing again. After one heat I get a "No response received from timer" message.
I went through 'what has changed', and the only change is an update from windows 8 to windows 10. I updated the driver on the serial to usb device. No change.

I installed the software on a windows 7 machine and established communication with the timer to it. Same behavior. I can ping the timer and get serial number with FUNterm.exe, so I know I am communicating.
If I do a test race in the hardware setup tab, again, I can do it succesfully once, get times, then I get the "No response received from timer" message.

In a last ditch effort I downloaded DerbyDay software, but I cannot for the life of me get it to recognize the timer. I am not sure if I am fighting a software or timer issue. The fact that rebooting the software gives me one run leads me to think it is software related, but I am now questioning a possible corruption of the firmware in the timer.

I have contacted both GPRM and Microwizard, but I also understand that my timing is terrible (no pun intended). Hoping for a Christmas miracle that someone else has encountered this and has an easy fix.
Last edited by race#67 on Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: "No response received from timer" after one heat...HELP!

Post by whodathunkit »

I'm no computer wiz.
But your Christmas day race sounds like fun.

Have you tried looking on there web site under FAQ.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Rocket Man
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rocket Man »

I have the same timer and software setup on a Windows 7 PC. I believe that I've encountered the same communication error that you are seeing on a couple of different occasions. It's frustrating when you are trying to get a race prepped. I've found that I can make the timer communicate smoothly with the software by following a specific start up sequence that I keep on a cheat sheet in my timer case. I haven't had any issues with the system since I began using it. It might be worth it for you to give it a try.

1) Begin with everything off and unplugged
2) Plug in and power on PC
3) Open GPRM software
4) Go to GPRM hardware setup
5) Check for connection / run test race - looking for " no COM ports found" message, then press OK
6) Connect cable to start switch and finish line
7) Plug in / power on finish line
8) Connect the serial to usb adapter to the serial cable
9) Connect the serial cable to the finish line
10) Connect the serial to usb adapter to the PC usb port - looking for " COM 3 port selected" message (yours may be different depending on which port was assigned when setting up the drivers)
11) Press Start Testing
12) Run test
13) Press End Testing

Mine always seems to be good to go from there. Hope that helps. Merry Christmas!
Just do your best and we'll always have fun. Rockets are who we are! Go Rockets!
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Thanks for the detailed procedure Rocket. I tried it, to the letter and still get no response from timer o=in race mode after the successful test, which includes times for each lane as I trigger them.

I did hear back from MicroWizard, they instructed me to run the FUNterm test and power the timer up to see if I get the message. I did and get the following on both machines:
Copyright (c) Micro Wizard 2002-2009
K2 Version 2.3A Serial Number26xxx
Their thought is if I am getting that it is software. I am stumped how the software could all of the sudden have an issue though, on two different machines.

And yes Whoda, I have read more about getting comports to work on different platforms than I ever cred to at this point:)
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Rocket Man wrote: 1) Begin with everything off and unplugged
2) Plug in and power on PC
3) Open GPRM software
4) Go to GPRM hardware setup
5) Check for connection / run test race - looking for " no COM ports found" message, then press OK
6) Connect cable to start switch and finish line
7) Plug in / power on finish line
8) Connect the serial to usb adapter to the serial cable
9) Connect the serial cable to the finish line
10) Connect the serial to usb adapter to the PC usb port - looking for " COM 3 port selected" message (yours may be different depending on which port was assigned when setting up the drivers)
11) Press Start Testing
12) Run test
13) Press End Testing
Actually, I recommend having the timer fully connected to the computer and powered up before opening the Hardware Settings screen. Then you won't have an issue with no COM ports found (assuming the USB adapter drivers are installed successfully).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

race#67,

What version of GPRM are you running? Please include the full version number (e.g. 15.0.901.13).

Are you sure that you are operating the timer and software in the correct sequence? Hit the Ready Timer/Test Race button, wait for the yellow Ready message, drop the gate to start the heat, cars finish, and then the results post.

Are all lanes finishing? If not, have you tried hitting the Escape key after the last one finishes?

Are you using the 1) mechanical start switch with that timer or 2) the laser start sensor or 3) no start means at all?
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Running Version 15.0.901.13.
Running a standard issue contact switch as provided in the K2 version of the Microwizard timer.
Here is a list of results when running three consecutive races using only Funterm:

Co pyright (c) Micro Wizard 2002-2009
K2 Version 2.3A Serial Number26xxx
>A=3.1464! B=3.1741" C=3.2402# D=3.1465! E=0.0000 F=0.0000
@>A=3.1350" B=3.1930# C=3.2096$ D=3.1148! E=0.0000 F=0.0000
@>@>A=3.1422" B=3.2188# C=3.2262$ D=3.1194! E=0.0000 F=0.0000

When running a race in GPRM I do this:
~Close any other applications (FUNterm)
~Open GPRM
~Close Start Gate
~Ready timer, Timer cells turn red then yellow
~Run first race, all cars finish
~17 seconds after the start gate opening the Ready Timer cells flash red, then turn back to grey and I get two"ERROR, no response received from timer" dialog boxes.
~Whether the start gate is left open the whole time or closed again immediately after the race makes no change in this behavior.
~Shutting down GPRM and restarting allows the timer to be readied again heat to be run before the same thing happens.

It is odd as the timer is certainly sending the data based on the FUNterm grab.
I do notice that the leading line of code sent on the first run is ">", and after the first run the leading character is "@".

Appreciate all your help.
~Jim
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

How many lanes is your timer? Does that match what you have set in the Software Settings screen?
Randy Lisano

race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Four lane timer. Under software settings I have selected four lane, and under hardware settings it is showing four lanes in use.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

I have been in contact with Stuart at MicroWizard, and based on the FUNterm output he feels the issue is not timer related.
I am really concerned as this system worked fine a couple weeks ago and software does not "go bad".
I still have a little time with the test session scheduled for January 23rd, but I want to get this resolved ASAP. Would sending the timer to either Stuart or to you for testing and analysis be the next step to determine exactly where the issue is?
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Just a hunch, but I suspect a driver issue for the USB serial adapter, possibly incurred during the update from 8 to 10.

Can you try a different adapter?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Jim,

That is peculiar. That is the same setup that I have been using. I sent you an email. I need to see your HardwareDebug.log file and a screen shot of the Hardware Settings screen.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Your communications log shows that not all lanes are finishing for many of your heats. When that occurs, are you pressing the Escape key or raising the start gate after the last lane finishes? Either of those should get the timer to stop timing and send the results for those lanes that did.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I hooked up my K2 timer to V15.0.901.13 and could not see any problem with Hardware Settings screen testing nor in the Racing screen. That was with all lanes finishing and some lanes not finishing scenarios.
Randy Lisano

race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

That log has all of the runs in, and in many I was just testing cars so I was not running all lanes.
The problem still occurs if all lanes are used and all finish, and if I have two lanes setup as a BYE if I am only running two lanes.
The odd thing is it appears to always let me run the 3rd and 4th heat of a 4 heat group without having to shut down. I can send you that log from today if it helps.