Derby Magic Bluetooth Timers

Commercial timing systems
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Derby Magic Bluetooth Timers

Post by gpraceman »

I have heard that Derby Magic now has bluetooth capable timers. From their website, it isn't really clear if that is an included feature in all of their current timers or not. I don't see different offerings for timers with and without that feature, so I assume that it is included in all of them. If so, do you have the option to use a wired connection instead of bluetooth? Very little detail on their website about that feature.

I have rather mixed feelings about a bluetooth feature. It is certainly nice to not have to run so many cords around the venue, which can be tripped over and need to be taped down. I like not having to run an extension cord to my timer, by using a battery pack. However, I am hesitant to trust that the bluetooth connection will be 100% reliable to get heat data to the computer. I tested a bluetooth device awhile back and had issues with a dropped connection. If that happens when trying to run a heat, you may lose your data and have to rerun the heat. Personally, I'd rather stick with the dependability of a wired connection than to risk it.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Derby Magic Bluetooth Timers

Post by Speedster »

I agree 100%. We always use the KISS method. As my Computer Genius Brother Joe once said to me, "Electronics are Great when they work".
Boy, Oh Boy. The Pinewood Derby is no time to be having any kind of a problem.