Need to build a cheap finish line

DIY timing systems
CubScoutsDad
Journeyman
Journeyman

Need to build a cheap finish line

Post by CubScoutsDad »

Our pack race is in January 2008. I am the person in charge of it and I have volunteered to build a new track. Our old track was a 32' wooden one and very worn out. I am planning on building a 45' laminate covered track. I purchased the materials this morning and will be working on it soon.

Here is my problem. Our pack has almost no money and we cannot afford the money to purchase a timer. I need to know if there are any plans available to help me build a finish line. All I need is one that will tell the order of finish. If you know of one, could you please help me out.

Thanks Randy
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need to build a cheap finish line

Post by gpraceman »

CubScoutsDad wrote:Here is my problem. Our pack has almost no money and we cannot afford the money to purchase a timer. I need to know if there are any plans available to help me build a finish line. All I need is one that will tell the order of finish. If you know of one, could you please help me out.
Hello Randy,

There are several plans and kits listed at GrandPrix Race Central. I would recommend one of the serial port systems, which gives you the option of using race management software (now or in the future).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

You could check out the "Cheap Kits" from www.MicroWizard.com for the electronics. You provide the mounting hardware. They can even be ordered with all of the normal computer options so you could use the software like GrandPrix Race Manager to ease result tracking.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

I am feeling generous because the season has not started. I have a bunch of old Judge parts that I can scavange and build whatever you need for $35 including shipping. Let me know the lane spacing.

www.newdirections.ws
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge
CubScoutsDad
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by CubScoutsDad »

John Shreffler wrote:I am feeling generous because the season has not started. I have a bunch of old Judge parts that I can scavange and build whatever you need for $35 including shipping. Let me know the lane spacing.

www.newdirections.ws
John, I sent you an email and I want to say thank you for your offer.

Everyone else thanks for your replys.
SlartyBartFast
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SlartyBartFast »

For anybody not so lucky to receive such a generous offer, you could try:
http://derbytimer.com/diy/