Attached Sensors

DIY timing systems
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Attached Sensors

Post by dna1990 »

Our homemade timer is nice in the fact it is self contained. Its sensors are in a 'box' that slides under the track and its frame go up and holds the IR lights across the top.

There are simple holes in the track where the box is aligned with from underneath.

However, this can be hard to align for newcomers. It is also a 'tension' fit to the sides of the track, and therefore can loosen as the heats go on thru the day. Becuase it is self contained, the IRs are always aligned with the sensors, bu they they may not always be straight to the track or in line with the thru holes.

For an upcoming new track build, I am considering permanently mounting the sensors from under the track. Then just have them wired to a RJ45 jack that the timer can plug into from above.

Are the commercial setups done like this? Any disadvantages?
volzjr
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Attached Sensors

Post by volzjr »

Because we don't "own" our own track, (two tracks are shared by three churches) I also mounted our finish line timer in a frame that can be slid onto the last section of the track, and straddles the finish line. To keep everything lined up, I drilled a hole on each side of the track, up from the underside. I then mounted pins (actually, PC board stand-offs, available at Radio Shack) on the timer's frame in the same location. The weight of the track keeps the pins in the holes, and everything stays lined up.
Instead of just lining up everything visually through the holes you have, (which is how I think you're doing it from your description, correct me if I'm wrong :wink: ) perhaps you can insert a pin or dowel or something to keep everything in place.