how to make timer removable?

General timing system discussions.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

how to make timer removable?

Post by 68sportcoupe »

Hello all.
Our pack is looking at buying a new timer the gpk3 to be specific.
the track is shared with another pack but i believe the timer will not.
the problem i see is that our track has high sides so we will need the quiuck mount. But that doesn't look lik it will come apart so easy any one have any ideas i was thinking of cutting a notch or groove into the sides at the finish line.so that the sensors could be rite up against the bottom of the track.
We realy need a new track but the funds are not there.
it's a very old wood track.
thanks for any and all advice.
mike
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: how to make timer removable?

Post by Stan Pope »

The other MicroWizard timers use a hinged bottom to facilitate disassembly of the track. If you are using a frame supplied by MicroWizard, it probably functions the same way. If not a MW supplied frame, you can build it that way yourself.

Next issue is the inside width of the timer frame. It should be constructed to just clear the full width of the track.

Last issue is whether the part of the timer frame that crosses under the track can fit flush against the underside of the track. I think that this is not really critical! If there were a half inch or so clearance, the alignment of the timing beams with the track will be more difficult, and any tendency of the timer frame to flex forward or back will break the timer beams more readily than if the fit were flush against the underside.

With more detail, perhaps we can give more answers.

Another thing you can do is to get the measurements of the track (overall width, thickness of the track surface, and inset depth of the underside) and discuss the concerns with the guys at MicroWizard. They are good guys and likely will be able to give you the best answers.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

You could always build up underneath the track, with some blocking, if needed. Then drill 1/4" holes down through the blocking to make tunnels for the sensors to look up through.

Instead of trying to hinge the timer, I find it far easier to just slide the whole timer unit over the end of the track. I also leave the quick mount bracket in place on the timer, even for storage.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Sorry, I guess that I was getting confused on mounting brackets. I was thinking of the one that is used for mounting to the Freedom aluminum track.

Best to get a hold of Micro Wizard and see what they recommend.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 68sportcoupe »

I think the side of the track is about 2". im not sure what it looks like underneath i have to check it out tonight or tomorow night.
atfer looking at the instalation instructions for the regular hinged setup. I think i could cut two small holes opposite each other and open up the the hinge and slide the bottom section through and reatach it.
we are thinking about the laser start gate. but im not sure if it would be another hassle im sure i could find a way to mount it.
just didnt know if the micro switch was a better setup and if we would save any money.
we allready have gprm9.0 witch was bought last year but we had trouble with the old analog stuff on our track and ended up borrowing a (suppertimer track) i think plastic side rails instead of center.
ill have to check out the track if i can tonight and get some pics and post them.
justy want to make sure they buy the rite stuff i think im going to be the one installing it on the track and trying to fixx up the old track some.
someone else will do the computer stuff im just the carpenter.
thaks again mike
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

68sportcoupe wrote:we are thinking about the laser start gate. but im not sure if it would be another hassle im sure i could find a way to mount it. just didnt know if the micro switch was a better setup and if we would save any money
FWIW, the laser gates do seem to have a reputation for causing some operational hassles. See this topic as one example.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 68sportcoupe »

ok now we may just borrow a track like last year.
but i was wondering would this timer work with gprm9.0.

IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/mw796e.jpg[/IMG]
this is the old timer on the track now it uses flap switches at the finishline.
thanks again guys.
mike
Last edited by 68sportcoupe on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 68sportcoupe »

heres the pic i hope.

i give up.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

This is how it should look when you are making up a post

Code: Select all

[img]http://i52.tinypic.com/mw796e.jpg[/img]
Easiest way to do that is to paste the image URL into your post, use your mouse to select the whole url and then click on the "Img" button. That will put the start and end tags where they need to be.
Randy Lisano

gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

68sportcoupe wrote:but i was wondering would this timer work with gprm9.0.
A bit hard to tell from the photo, but I think I see "SuperTimer" listed on the circuit board. The finish flags that you mention would seem to confirm that. If so, there have been GPRM users that have been able to interface to that timer, using the custom serial timer feature. It is not a supported timer, so no guarantees are made, but you can always give it a try.
Randy Lisano

68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 68sportcoupe »

wow did you make my picture come up or did i do that.
Like i said not sure what where doing this year i thought we where getting a new timer but im almost glad if we don't.
i would rather get or build a new track and then get a timer to fit that.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 68sportcoupe »

looks like we are going to borrow the track we borrowed last year again.
witch is good ive heard nothing but bad news about our old wood track like parts flying off cars and the track fell down on the pack we share it with last year so good news for me i was worried about my sons car.
so we are out of the woods for now.
i think we will try to go in on a track with another pack in town for next year.
if not i will build one and we will buy a timer.
thaks again guys.
mike