Need new timer- suggestions?

General timing system discussions.
jeffmessina
Apprentice
Apprentice

Need new timer- suggestions?

Post by jeffmessina »

Afternoon folks!
So we currently have a NewBold Turbo timing system with, what I believe, an aluminium Best Track. We use the GrandPrix racing software.
We are in need of a new timing system and looking for some direction.

This will be my 3rd year running the derby and the timer system in general is on the fritz and falling apart. Last derby we had an issue with obviously incorrect times that lucky enough was caught early on and a "wire wiggle" and reset of the system seemed to fix. To be fair the timer was not kept in the best conditions while in storage.

Anyways, all that said we have been happy with NewBold and have had it for 10+ years at this point. My default thought it to replace it like-for-like with their new Turbo stems for a few reasons.
A) Other than recently it worked well and stood up for several years
B) I can use our current LED displays on the new system as spared or dual facing

However I want to do my due diligence for our Pack.

Any comments, reviews or thoughts on other systems in the market?
Give or take they roughly seem to be in the same price range, with similar features, but its hard to tell what brand I should go with.

Here is a list of supported timing sytems, any help or comments would be appreciated.
http://grandprix-software-central.com/i ... patibility

Cheers!
Jeff :bigups:
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Need new timer- suggestions?

Post by Speedster »

Hi Jeff. Welcome to Derbytalk.

Jeff, the Champ timer was designed for the Best track. It installs very easily. It probably is the most expensive to buy but our Pack felt it was well worth it. The initial cost is not the only thing that needs to be considered. Will they be around for years to come? If there are problems can I get help?

Can you send us a picture of the track? Is the curved section a separate piece?

Since I'm spending your money (This is really Fun) there is a 12" extension for the start available so you can race trucks. There is Truck racing at the Mid America race in Omaha, Nebraska around the 1st of May each year. OK, this is about as far as OFF TOPIC as I can get.

Best Wishes, Jeff.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need new timer- suggestions?

Post by gpraceman »

jeffmessina wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:38 pm This will be my 3rd year running the derby and the timer system in general is on the fritz and falling apart. Last derby we had an issue with obviously incorrect times that lucky enough was caught early on and a "wire wiggle" and reset of the system seemed to fix. To be fair the timer was not kept in the best conditions while in storage.

Anyways, all that said we have been happy with NewBold and have had it for 10+ years at this point. My default thought it to replace it like-for-like with their new Turbo stems for a few reasons.
A) Other than recently it worked well and stood up for several years
B) I can use our current LED displays on the new system as spared or dual facing
Hello Jeff,

Have you contacted NewBold to see if the issue with your current timer can be repaired?

If you do need/want a new timer, there are several options, as you have seen. What may tip the scales is that Micro Wizard is still running their 10% off summer discount until Oct 31.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.