Microwizard Fasttrack Timer Case Build

Commercial timing systems
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Microwizard Fasttrack Timer Case Build

Post by mclewis_13 »

Good Morning All.

Sorry for my absence but family, ministry, and work first. Not a lot of time to play.

However if you wake up early enough you can focus!

May I present my Seahorse 720 buildout for holding my timer, car gage, scales, calibration weights, starting gate, and wires. It basically the kitchen sink.

Image Case Specs
Image Glamour Shot
Image Layer One - Timer, Official Pit Scale, Cal and Weight.
Image Layer 2 - Protect the pretty, starter gate mechanism
Image Layer 2.1 - Starter Gate
Image Layer 2.2 - Wires, Gage, packing foam.
Image Layer 2.2.1 - Racer Scale
Image Layer 2.2.2 - packing foam

https://imgur.com/a/vmpm09y If you want to see the whole gallery.
Last edited by mclewis_13 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Microwizard Fasttrack Timer Case Build

Post by gpraceman »

Looks nice. I like how you are keeping everything together (scale, car inspection box, timer).

Though, I would ditch the laser start sensor system. Too problematic. See viewtopic.php?p=53672#p53672. Use the mechanical switch instead. Much more dependable.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I would put the timer in some very, very safe place all by itself.
I have 2 identical Micro Wizard timers with an attachment for one that shows Elapsed times. They are never both in the same place or the same house.

I know. My wife says I worry too much. My doctor is helping me with that.
mclewis_13
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mclewis_13 »

Speedster wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:22 am I would put the timer in some very, very safe place all by itself.
I have 2 identical Micro Wizard timers with an attachment for one that shows Elapsed times. They are never both in the same place or the same house.

I know. My wife says I worry too much. My doctor is helping me with that.
:rofl:

The timer isn’t mine. It belongs to the church. I am just being the steward of it during my tenure as AWANA commander. It’s brand new, never been used.

We start our pit days next Saturday for the entire month of March. I am so excited to see it all come together!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

They are fortunate to have you.
Best wishes for everyones success
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

As an FYI. This particular case will not work for the new Micro Wizard Q1 and Q2 models. Those timers are significantly taller than the older K and P model timers.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:05 pmThose timers are significantly taller...
If it helps, our organization's Q-series timer is a full 14-1/2" tall when stored.

I've assembled several MicroWizard K3 kits over the years, but the new Q-series timers are far better aesthetically - everyone loves the larger readouts. :bigups:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

FatSebastian wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:33 pm
gpraceman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:05 pmThose timers are significantly taller...
If it helps, our organization's Q-series timer is a full 14-1/2" tall when stored.

I've assembled several MicroWizard K3 kits over the years, but the new Q-series timers are far better aesthetically - everyone loves the larger readouts. :bigups:
Not sure that this is the best option, but this case looks to have the space for the Q series timers and room for the cabling, power supply, and start switch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088G1B42K/

One church that I am working with is getting this case for the timer they ordered. So, I'll see soon enough how well this case works out.
Randy Lisano

FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Presently, our custom track case has sufficient room to include the timer display. But simply because of the expense of sufficiently-sized cases, if we were in need of a storage container...

In the past I've built a heavy-duty timer-display case with some of the leftovers materials from building the track case. Basically you make it just like a mini track case from luan (lauan) plywood and 1x- lumber to the desired custom dimensions.

Another option might be a large suitcase. (A used one might be had from a local thrift store.) To approximate the minimum width of the container needed, measure the width of your track and then add 3-1/2", plus how much ever extra cushion you want. (For example, an assembled 4-lane MicroWizard track is 14" wide, so the timer is ~17-1/2" wide). The mounting plate we have is 3" wide, so that seems like a minimum depth.

I might consider a heavy-duty cardboard shipping box from Lowes for a few dollars.

Granted, these options don't come with nice segmented foam, and won't survive being dropped in the ocean, but the price is right and we've had no problem finding free remnants of foam sheeting being recycled that can be cut to size with a utility knife.
Last edited by FatSebastian on Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

FatSebastian wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:34 pm Presently, our custom track case has sufficient room to include the timer display. But simply because of the expense of sufficiently-sized cases, if we were in need of a storage container...
I recommend storing the timer separate from the track. This makes it easier to grab just the timer and do testing with your computer without having to get the track out of storage. So, that means storing the timer, all associated cables, the timer start switch, power supply, and USB to Serial Adapter all together.
Randy Lisano

FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:44 pmI recommend storing the timer separate from the track. ... So, that means storing ... all together.
Makes sense. It seems like a good recommendation in general. In our situation, the timer, plus all associated components, etc. are stored "all together" - just not separate from the track. And we had not thought of a circumstance where we'd want to just fiddle with the timer without also getting the track out of storage shortly thereafter.

We currently operate with a MicroWizard Freedom track, in part because of its low storage profile. The recommended MicroWizard plans are a tight fit for all of the track components, so we made a storage crate slightly wider and taller by a couple of inches to ease removal of the track sections, and to also store accessories on top of the track in the crate or add another section of track later.

The OP's case-storage arrangement is layered like a cake; stowing those components in the track crate means just having those layers side by side along the crate, instead of stacked in a case. And crate-storage is in some ways easier because parts locations are obvious and immediately accessible across an 8-foot span, rather than layered. And we needed room for a few other odd-shaped things, such as a light tree, which is not as easy to store in a dedicated timer case...

Besides the track crate, we had two other inexpensive storage options immediately available that fit the Q-series, but seemed less optimal. One was an old American Tourister suitcase that is about 27" x 18" x 8". It required foam customization to prevent the contents from settling when going from the horizontal to the vertical (carrying) position, and it took up extra storage space. Another option was a footlocker from ye-olde Boy-Scout camping days; no settling problems as the carrying position was maintained horizontal, but again it was bulky. It turned out that storing accessories inside the track crate took up no more room and doesn't require keeping up with a separate parts container, but it does require a case with a couple of extra inches height (say, use 1x8s for the sides instead of 1x6s) and stacking the track pieces with thinner spacers than the default 1x2 lumber.

If we add another section of track at some point, we will run out of top space in this crate and may need to with go something like the case you suggest, so let us know how it works out!
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:54 pmOne church that I am working with is getting this case for the timer they ordered.
I haven't looked very hard, but already the Eylar Extra Large 24 Inch case looks like a workable alternative that is less expensive (presently ~$150), and they make a wheeled version too (presently ~$200). FWIW.

If I was starting all over again, I would consider a "stackable wheeled tool chest" set, to consolidate our sundry derby supplies and accessories, if the largest (bottom) box could accommodate the Q-series timer. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=stackable+wheeled+tool+chest
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

FatSebastian wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:15 pmI haven't looked very hard, but...
And now there's this Bushnell case at $130 that also advertises to be about the right width internally... in fact, it is made by Eylar and (except for the Bushnell label) may be identical to the case just mentioned above.