Track purchase advice

Commercial tracks.
cubdad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Track purchase advice

Post by cubdad »

Just wanted to update you all on how our pack's derby went this past weekend.

It went great!

The BestTrack had no perceptible statistical variation in lane speeds. Needles to say no cars were thrown from a lane due to a bad joint (a change for us from last year).

The Microwizard timer ran flawlessly.

The GPRM software was better than I imagined. Naturally we first looked at it the day before the race. Fortunately, it was very intuitive to setup and use.

We really did not want to risk the time to have all 50 kids each run in every lane but the software kind of pushes you in that direction for fairness sake. In the past the even took over 4 hours using only sudden death brackets (very unfair) but we ran the whole race, using perfect N in less than 2.5 hours this year. This was due to the the timer and GPRM software allowing for automation all of the bookkeeping. The event was not rushed. We just eliminated the previous years' long pauses as the various datakeepers would periodically meet in panics to go over race results.

Lastly the GPRM software generates all these car performance statistics that are very interesting to review.

GPRM also allowed us print the heat schedules with the scouts' names in advance. We posted these schedules on the walls all around the room and that was a big hit with adults and kids alike as it allowed them to see what was happening next.

So this past weekend's experience with the Best Track, Microwizard K3 timer and GPRM software was terrific!!!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I'm glad that your race went well and the software was a help.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
John Shreffler
Merchant
Merchant

Post by John Shreffler »

If using John's start gate with a MW timer, then John does need to make a modification to it, so it will not auto reset the gate before the heat is over.
I offer a device for MicroWizard or other timers that do not tolerate the re-closing of the start switch prior to cars finishing. You can see it about 2/3 way down page http://www.newdirections.ws/fullmotion.html The device makes the MicroWizard "think" it has the laser start detector, which electronically latches the switch detection circuit open until the next race.

This device is needed only for my full-motion start gates which are open for the 3.0 seconds that the light tree is green, since the race is typically 3 to 4 seconds long. For my latch type start gates, the device is not needed, since the gate stays open until manually closed.
John Shreffler
Maker of The Judge