Not stopping!

Commercial tracks.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Not stopping!

Post by AlabamaDan »

Today we experienced something new, scary and embarrasing with our Best Track. Cars weren't stopping completely and were hitting the end of the stop section, flipping and flying off the track. We've had this track for 3 years and I don't know why it just started doing this. :/

I had the stopping section below the bottom of the last section of track and it was elevated toward the end. Anyone know what was happening? :idk:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Not stopping!

Post by gpraceman »

What's the condition of the rubber strips?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

i thought they looked fine, but I don't have any new rubber to compare to. Think that might be it?
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

The accumulation of graphite will cause the stopping material to fail. . . also it seems to basically dry out or develop a slippery surface. I have used some 220 grit sandpaper and a tack cloth and to "refinish" the surface.

It probably needs to be either cleaned or replaced. BestTrack does sell the foam material or it can be ordered from other suppliers. I replace my on a regular basis . . . . looking for something that will really really work. We have even gone to using a double length stop section.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Mr. Slick wrote:BestTrack does sell the foam material or it can be ordered from other suppliers. I replace my on a regular basis . . . . looking for something that will really really work. We have even gone to using a double length stop section.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#93625k48/=60ark2 I got the info from Piantedosi (Gary?) 3 years ago and had promised I wouldn't reveal it but he has sold the track business so I think it's OK now. This is the actual stuff he used. It works great!!!!
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

I just ordered the foam for our track. Hopefully, I should have it for the weekend to extend our stop section of our wood Piantedosi! I have to set-up for a Pack race in Chattangooa in a couple of Saturdays. Great advice! ;)
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio