Fastest time on a Besttrack 20' test track

Commercial tracks.
Ten Thumb Tom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Fastest time on a Besttrack 20' test track

Post by Ten Thumb Tom »

We just got a Besttrack test track and I am curious as to what would be considered "fast" on this track? I think our fastest run this weekend was 2.105.
stang68
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Fastest time on a Besttrack 20' test track

Post by stang68 »

TTT,
I do not know what the times are for a 20' run,what i do know is testing on a 20' and racing on a 35' or 42' Best Track is two different things.We had several cars this year during a weekend of testing that were faster at 20' but fell off a lot the last few feet against our test cars.It was all due to small allingment issues.Had we used a 20' test we would have been in trouble at the pack race.

20' is a great start but i would add length to it as soon as i could to match the length you race on.This is one of the great features of a Best Track.
Ten Thumb Tom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ten Thumb Tom »

That's it then. I'm putting in an order this morning to expand my new 20' test track to 35'. I think if have a clear shot from the dining room through the foyer into the living room. I think I can rearrange things a little without putting the china hutch out on the front lawn.
Ten Thumb Tom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Ten Thumb Tom »

By the way - they nerfed the stop section of the 20' track way too short! It is a "mini-stop" and I had to put a couple of books underneath it to raise it almost 2" in order to keep the cars from going off the end - I'd like to say our cars are just too fast for the track, but I will digress :D
JohnB-71
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JohnB-71 »

Ten Thumb: Is right! The stop section is very short. We raised ours about 2" with a very soft pillow as an emergency stop. This is with last years awana cars.

John
msurebel
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by msurebel »

Ok then, now that we are talking 35' tracks, or basically 29' from start to finish, what have been some of the fastest times anyone has seen?

Of course, I"m talking about BSA rules and kits.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

For years no one got under 3.0 sec for a 29' start to finish on our Best Track, last year we allowed oil as a lube and lightened wheels. We got 2.9 sec avg over 3 runs. There's still a rough gap in one lane that needs to be fixed this year, so we'll probably see even faster times.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
msurebel
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by msurebel »

Just to share our times from last year on a Best Track, 29', we had several cars who were just over 2.6 seconds. I need to check the 29', that is what the software was setup for, but that is the times we had.
msurebel
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by msurebel »

My curiosity got the best of me. I went and measure the distance from starting pin to center of hole for the sensor and it is 29.89 feet, which is a little longer than the 29 feet we had set for the race last year. With over 70 boys racing, we had 22 cars that had an average time under 2.7 seconds. I don't know how we did at district, I think we placed, but I'm not sure we won first place.