Track weights

Commercial tracks.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Track weights

Post by FatSebastian »

Tracks are heavy. I would appreciate seeing data regarding how much various commercial tracks weigh. Where/how does one discover such data? Looking around the internet, and especially manufacturer websites, I was not able to find very much precise information about track weights, and have only seen a few numbers for track weights here on Derby Talk. I contacted a manufacturer a while ago with a question about track weight but it went unanswered. This led me to suspect that manufacturers may be reluctant to say how heavy tracks actually are? :idk:

Outside of manufacturer disclosures, I foresee two potential sources of acquiring this information. One is a shipping receipt from somebody who purchased a track, which may have weight information (although I'm sure how accurate shipping receipts are; they would include packaging even if accurately weighed).

Another possibility is for everyone to take along a bathroom scale as they break out their tracks for the season and weight the components. (If you are kind enough to go to the trouble to take and post track weight information in this way, please disclose the brand, material, length, and number of lanes.)

:thanks:
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Track weights

Post by gpraceman »

It may be a bit hard to weigh track sections on a bathroom scale, considering their length, but some data would be interesting to see.

IMO, the weight of a track should be a minor consideration. More important considerations are cost, storage space required and where the track will be used (indoors or outdoors). I threw that last item in there since I have known some races to be held outdoors. Plastic tracks seem to have more of an expansion/contraction issue outdoors, causing joint issues or "hills" to appear. This affected a MythBusters episode, Can a toy car beat a real car on a slope.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:It may be a bit hard to weigh track sections on a bathroom scale, considering their length...
I might envisage the following scenario. As the track is being laid out for assembly, turn each section on its side such that the outer lane edge is resting on the scale, and balance the middle of the section on a bathroom scale such that the long ends hang off but do not contact the ground. (Although this will require some balancing, hopefully will give a reasonably usable number.) This scheme may also be applied at disassembly.

Other considerations may or may not be more important when shopping for a track; regardless, my hope is that this discussion be about "track weights". :angel:
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Although I don't have specifics for the weights, I definitely can vouche that they are heavy. We have a 40 ft, 6 lane, aluminum Best Track that we stoore in two plywood boxes we built using provided plans from Best Tracks. It takes two of us to lift the boxes and a third to position them in a tight place (like a van or in a storage space under a stage). Once while moving one box up a stairs (while going backwards) I didn't lift my foot high enough to clear the next step and wound up falling backwards onto the steps with the box landing on both my legs. I wasn't hurt at all, but I was sitting on the steps with this box on my legs and I couldn't stand up or get out from under the box. :O I was physically pinned under the box and couldn't get out. Had to get two other adults to come over and lift the box off of me so I was free to move again. Definitely an embarassing situation and it was the first time in my life I'd ever been pinned underneath of an object. :oops: Keep in mind that was only one of the two boxes that contained the track. Those storage boxes with the track in them definitely aren't light weight.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
dfscott
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by dfscott »

FatSebastian wrote:
gpraceman wrote:It may be a bit hard to weigh track sections on a bathroom scale, considering their length...
I might envisage the following scenario. As the track is being laid out for assembly, turn each section on its side such that the outer lane edge is resting on the scale, and balance the middle of the section on a bathroom scale such that the long ends hang off but do not contact the ground. (Although this will require some balancing, hopefully will give a reasonably usable number.) This scheme may also be applied at disassembly.
An easier method would probably just be to hold the track in the middle and stand on the scale yourself (easier to balance the track using your arms). Then just subtract your own weight. :whew:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

dfscott wrote:An easier method would probably just be to hold the track...
For those of us who don't already tax the upper limit of our bathroom scales, that sounds like a great idea! (I'm wondering if my digital scale would say "Err"? :paperbag: )

For those who store their track in a case, yet another method that may be faster is to weigh the case full, then empty, then subtract those two values.
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

FatSebastian wrote:
dfscott wrote:An easier method would probably just be to hold the track...
For those of us who don't already tax the upper limit of our bathroom scales, that sounds like a great idea! (I'm wondering if my digital scale would say "Err"? :paperbag: )
Reminds me of one of my sons favorite "Yo Mama's" jokes...

Yo Mama's so fat, when she gets on a scale, it says: "To be Continued.."

Anyway...

I have heard of a few folks local who don't put their tracks in storage cases due to the fact that the cases adds enough weight to make it too difficult to move alone. Especially those with 6 lane tracks. I know of two personally who don't use cases for that reason.
zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by zeezop »

Nitro Dan wrote:Although I don't have specifics for the weights, I definitely can vouche that they are heavy. We have a 40 ft, 6 lane, aluminum Best Track that we stoore in two plywood boxes we built using provided plans from Best Tracks. It takes two of us to lift the boxes and a third to position them in a tight place (like a van or in a storage space under a stage). Once while moving one box up a stairs (while going backwards) I didn't lift my foot high enough to clear the next step and wound up falling backwards onto the steps with the box landing on both my legs. I wasn't hurt at all, but I was sitting on the steps with this box on my legs and I couldn't stand up or get out from under the box. :O I was physically pinned under the box and couldn't get out. Had to get two other adults to come over and lift the box off of me so I was free to move again. Definitely an embarassing situation and it was the first time in my life I'd ever been pinned underneath of an object. :oops: Keep in mind that was only one of the two boxes that contained the track. Those storage boxes with the track in them definitely aren't light weight.

-Nitro Dan
My 42' besttrack is in 2 boxes and I have 4" castor wheels on the bottom of the box, the only time two people are required to move it is going up and down stairs. Even in and out of the van can be done solo. No idea of the weight, but pretty easy to move. To reduce the weight of the box I use a wooden frame made from 1/2 x 2 pine and the walls are made from a sheet of coroplast.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

We have our first data point, thanks to RocketRod.

Manufacturer: Microwizard
Type: Freedom Aluminum
Lanes: 2
Length: 32'
Weight: 57 lbs. (declared shipping weight)
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

I have some information on wooden tracks made of plywood. In my years of woodworking it has been a rule of thumb that a 4x8 sheet of plywood weighs 25 lbs for each 1/4" in thickness (this is a rule of thumb and the actual weight can vary depending on wood species, among other things). Most of the wooden tracks I have seen are made out of 1/2" plywood and use a 1/4" strip of wood for the center guides and are similar to the Piantedosi track or this one:

http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/derby/track/

Given the above, a one foot length of a single lane of track with a 1 5/8" center guide would weigh 0.5615 lbs for a 3.5" wide lane and 0.6266 lbs for a 4" lane. So, a 32-foot track with two 3.5" lanes would weigh about 36 lbs (32 x 2 x 0.5615 = 35.94). These figures don't account for fasteners (i.e. screws), finish applied to the track (i.e. varnish or paint) or stands and other supports, each of which would add some incremental weight.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Thanks for your contribution BallBoy and :welcome:
BallBoy wrote:Most of the wooden tracks I have seen are made out of 1/2" plywood and use a 1/4" strip of wood for the center guides and are similar to the Piantedosi track
FWIW, oddly, a factory Piantedosi track uses ~3/8" thick (actual) plywood! :scratching:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Recently I had an opportunity to weigh an older 4-lane 32' Piantedosi track:

Manufacturer: Piantedosi (now Microwizard)
Type: Wooden (Classic)
Lanes: 4
Length: 32'
Weight: 109 lbs. (components weighed on a digital bathroom scale)

This figure does not include some minor pieces, such as fasteners (e.g., bolts and washers).

The case for this track weighed 48 lbs. separately. The timer (a Microwizard K3), cables, and case weighed 11 lbs. The barbell weights were 28 lbs. So the total transportation weight for this system added to 196 lbs.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

Over the weekend I weighed my BestTrack. The declared shipping weight was 137 lbs. Here are the numbers:

Manufacturer: BestTrack
Type: Aluminum
Length: 42'
Weight: 122 lbs. (components weighed on a digital bathroom scale)

This figure includes all fasteners and assembly hardware.
rkibby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rkibby »

BallBoy wrote:Over the weekend I weighed my BestTrack. The declared shipping weight was 137 lbs. Here are the numbers:

Manufacturer: BestTrack
Type: Aluminum
Length: 42'
Weight: 122 lbs. (components weighed on a digital bathroom scale)

This figure includes all fasteners and assembly hardware.

What did each part weight? The start section, the curve, and the rest of the sections?

I have a 49' Best Track 4 lane. Curious how much each section is.