Best Track Curved Section???

Commercial tracks.
msurebel
Journeyman
Journeyman

Best Track Curved Section???

Post by msurebel »

I'm cleaning and reconditioning our Best Track and noticed seperation of the individual tracks on the back side of the curved section, some as much as 1/4". Is this normal since each track section has to be bent, or has Best Track compensated for the curving of track and ours needs work?
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Best Track Curved Section???

Post by *5 J's* »

msurebel wrote:I'm cleaning and reconditioning our Best Track and noticed seperation of the individual tracks on the back side of the curved section, some as much as 1/4". Is this normal since each track section has to be bent, or has Best Track compensated for the curving of track and ours needs work?
Yes, they open up as part of the bending process. Besttrack mentions it in their assembly manual and stating "It is normal for one or both sidewalls of the track lane with the curve formed in it to be rolled inward towards the center of the lane. This is due to the manufacturing process and will not affect the function of the track. This is normal and will not affect the speed of the cars or the fairness of the race in any way."
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

These two posts seem to be describing the different issues.

The first, I think, describes separation between lanes which would increse the distance between the lanes and cause two of the lanes to no longer be straight, whereas the second, I think, describes deformation of the edges of the raised portion of the lane that the car straddles.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

I guess msurebel would have to weigh in but the back side or underside of the track has sidewall and when the curve is bent it causes the sidewall to roll in. When you join the lanes together, the backside of the lanes opens as much as 1/4". This is only seperation of the sidewall - one the frontside the running surface should meet just fine.

If you have any concerns call or email the folks as Besttrack. I had some questions and they were very helpful. Great people to work with.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

*5 J's* wrote:... the back side or underside of the track has sidewall and when the curve is bent it causes the sidewall to roll in. When you join the lanes together, the backside of the lanes opens as much as 1/4".
That makes more sense! The oritinal descirption and the note by BestTrack misled me. They seemed to refer to the lane's center rail. I see now! The deep lane segment side is even more susceptible to drawing in.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Stan Pope wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:... the back side or underside of the track has sidewall and when the curve is bent it causes the sidewall to roll in. When you join the lanes together, the backside of the lanes opens as much as 1/4".
That makes more sense! The oritinal descirption and the note by BestTrack misled me. They seemed to refer to the lane's center rail. I see now! The deep lane segment side is even more susceptible to drawing in.
Bestrack arrives as individual lanes. If buy a three lane track, every length will come as three seperate lanes. If you take a look at the cross section of one of these lanes you will fully understand what happens when the company forms the curve.