The width of the track lane

DIY tracks.
VENARI
Pine Head
Pine Head

The width of the track lane

Post by VENARI »

I've notice there seem to be a difference in the width of the furing strip for the lanes. Some of them are 1 5/8" and some are 1 3/8". What's the big difference if any? Seem the BSA is the wider one and the 1 3/8" is in the plans for building an AWANA track. Is this just personal preference or what? Opinions please, thanks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The width of the track lane

Post by gpraceman »

VENARI wrote:Some of them are 1 5/8" and some are 1 3/8".
The width of these strips should keep the cars from interfering with each other. With wide lane spacing that is not really an issue, but if the lanes are in tight, there could be interference issues if the lane strips are not kept wide.

I forget the lane spacing on the Awana track, but I do recall that it seemed that the cars could get a bit too close to each other if they are riding the rails.

Also, with the skinnier lane strips, I believe the cars can face more abrubt course changes (and corresponding loss of energy) when they hit the rail. The minimum distance between wheels is 1 3/4" so the 1 5/8" strips would keep the car from wandering too much one way or the other.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
VENARI
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by VENARI »

Was also wondering is there a "standard" for the BSA track and the AWANA tracks or is this just a mute issue? Keeping the tracks 4" from center should keep the cars from making contact with each other.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

VENARI wrote:Was also wondering is there a "standard" for the BSA track and the AWANA tracks or is this just a mute issue?
There really is no "standard", so you will see quite a few variations in track length, geometry, lane spacing and rail width.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
VENARI
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by VENARI »

Thanks, was wondering about track dimensions. It just seems there are just so many shapes and sizes out there you would think some standarization would be out there.
Packdude
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Packdude »

Well, the minimum clearance between the pwd car wheels is 1 3/4", so your strip would have to be narrower than that. I believe the standard distance between strips is 3 1/2" from center.