Track Section Adjustment

DIY tracks.
kwengerd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Track Section Adjustment

Post by kwengerd »

We are getting ready to build a wood track and I wondered how the section allignment was dealt with. We used a borrowed track the past two years and while it is a beautiful track, the sections were mis alligned (up and down) just enough to catch it with a fingernail. This caused some of the cars, if they hit it just right, to jump and immediately slow down. I want to build in a lane adjuster that would allow the alignment to be fine tuned when set up. Any ideas?

THANK YOU!

Keith
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Track Section Adjustment

Post by TAL »

I have seen tracks that blunt the end of the guide rail with the end of the track surface for each section , which I believe will create those type of problems...

When I have assembeled or built wooden tracks, I like to use the tounge and groove method to join the sections together ...

For example : The starting gate section of the track will have a running surface of 7 feet 6 inches...

The guide rail for each lane will be 8 feet long with a 6 inch over hang at the bottom of the first section ... The 6 inch over hang of the guide rail and the additional assembly block under neath the running surface will create the female part of the tounge and groove method...

Then the second section running surface should be a whole 8 foot length with a full 8 foot length of guide rail ... But the guide rail will again have a 6 inch over hang at one end and will have a 6 inch section at the opposite end of the running surface (male part of the tounge and groove ) that will accompany the 6 inch over hang of the guide rails from the first starting gate section...

You will need additional assembly blocks underneath the end of each section end that has a guide rail over hang to create female ends to accompany each of the male end of the sections...

Then where each of the sections are connected predrill a couple holes in the lane guide rails to accompany a couple wood screws that will go thru the guide rail , track surface and sink into the additional assembly block ...

With this method you should be able to get the two connecting sections level with one another thru tension of the screws ...We also use these screws to be the assembly screws and all you need is a screwdriver and or drill to assemble and disassemble the track at the screw sections...
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Track Section Adjustment

Post by gpraceman »

This website has a few different ways to do the joints. http://home.simplyweb.net/bosworth/trac ... K_SECTIONS

I built a track for our old Awana club. It uses a plywood plate with screws coming down from the top of the track. It is very much like how Piantedosi Oars does for their wooden tracks. It doesn't allow for a fine tune of the alignment, but does a pretty good job of reducing alignment problems.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.