Need Starting Gate pictures!

DIY tracks.
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Need Starting Gate pictures!

Post by ranman106 »

We need to update our starting gate. We have an aluminum track with wood frame. Our current gate is all wood and incorporated into the track frame. We want to go with a spring loaded type starting gate. Can you post some pictures of your set up?
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Starting Gate pictures!

Post by gpraceman »

Here's a couple of pics from the track I built for our Awana club back in San Diego. There really isn't a need for a spring, since the weight of the start gate pops the gate open quickly enough to get the pins out of the way before the cars can start to roll. There is also no jolt to the track, which can happen when a spring loaded gate opens and smacks against the track. The string that you see is attached to a pull cord and to the latch.

Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

Randy,

Thanks for the pics! Thats a very good alternative to what we have. Hmmmm, any others?
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

Mine are basically two 1x2s that are spring loaded with a couple of hinges between the pieces. I use wooden dowels that have been flattened on one side to allow for easy staging of needle pointed cars. I prefer the wood rather than metal for the start pins -- gotta watch out for those magnets! :)

I am looking to see if I have a photo of the design. If not I will get a photo taken sometime . . . .
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.