Build Test Track from Whiteboard (i.e., melamine)?

DIY tracks.
mrprevost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Build Test Track from Whiteboard (i.e., melamine)?

Post by mrprevost »

Has anyone built a test track from whiteboard? You know, like whiteboard that is used with dry-erase markers. It's only about $11/sheet and very smooth (actually the stuff I'm looking at is meant for bathroom paneling).

My concern is that it would be TOO smooth and the cars would slip and slide. They don't seem to slip much on a glass mirror though (but I've only tried that at low speed for alignment).

Another option is "hardboard" -- a very fine but very smooth particle board. I'm afraid any moisture would ruin it. The whiteboard is basically hardboard coated with melamine which is impervious to water.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Build Test Track from Whiteboard (i.e., melamine)?

Post by doct1010 »

Particle boards structural integrity when bent for transition is suspect. It has little if any flexibility. It is heavy and absorbs moisture in a heartbeat. Maybe it could be used over plywood. I have heard of some very fast and smooth formica tracks.
mrprevost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mrprevost »

doct1010 wrote:
Particle boards structural integrity when bent for transition is suspect. It has little if any flexibility. It is heavy and absorbs moisture in a heartbeat. Maybe it could be used over plywood. I have heard of some very fast and smooth formica tracks.
I don't think the bending will be a concern -- using about an 8' radius bend -- very gentle.

Formica would be great, but it's very expensive -- ~$40/sheet. I was thinking about PlexiGlass too, but one requirement for this test track is that it be CHEAP. ;)

The whiteboard stuff is only 1/8" thick and coated on 1 side. I'm thinking of sandwiching them back to back and sealing the cut edges. Perhaps this will mitigate the moisture problem. Also, by sandwiching them, I can also offset them a little length wise at the joints. This will help level the running surface at the joints.

Or, I could just support the flat sections with some braces underneath. This would give strength to the 1/8" whiteboard. I would have to seal the exposed back and edges of the cut whiteboard with something, however.

My primary concern is that the whiteboard will be too slick. Has anyone else run cars on whiteboard or melamine coated board?
Thanks.
mrprevost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mrprevost »

Another thought. Would a slick surface like whiteboard accentuate a car's "shimmying" problems (i.e., lateral shifting due to misalignment)?

After all, the purpose of a test track is to discover problems with the car.

Thanks!
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

O.K., I know the stuff you referenced. It is not a particle board, but rather a masonite type material. It could work back to back I guess, still wonder about it's strength.

I don't imagine it is any "slicker" than formica or aluminium. So it would probably work.
Hurly64
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Hurly64 »

I used a white vinyl-coated mdf board that is 1/4" thick. It is about $13.00/sheet where I am at. Its easier to cut than the 1/8" panelboard you are suggesting. It has a little more tooth to it than the panelboard, but not so much as Formica. A full sheet will give you just enough for a two lane track, and you can use the same sheet for the lane guides. It is very floppy, so I had to support the edges on the flat with some 2" strips of plywood on edge. If I had to do it over, I would've added 1/4" to each edge of the track, and run the track edges in a dado (or groove) in the plywood supports. I had it outside under a covered porch for some time, and it didn't seem to mind the foggy mornings, although I did seal the edges.
Particle board is too heavy, and too brittle to bend. Another problem wth it is that it disintegrates when you repeatedly fasten and unfasten the joints. MDF jonts hold up very well if you know how to work with it.
mrprevost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mrprevost »

Hurly64 wrote:
I used a white vinyl-coated mdf board that is 1/4" thick. It is about $13.00/sheet where I am at.
Yes. I was hoping to find something thicker. Could not find coated 1/4", only the 1/8" coated hardboard panel.

How did you deal with the joints? Did they line up well?

Thanks.
Hurly64
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Hurly64 »

I used a tongue & groove joint. But I think the plate & cleat method on the rahul site would be easier and more effective. There is a link to it on some of the other threads. I used 3/8 or 1/2 inch flathead sheet metal screws to attach the lane guides to the track, w/ pre-drilled & countersunk holes. THe problem I had is that the tongue & groove sections didn't hold together too well, because there is hardly any meat for the screws to grab with such a narrow section. This was a problem only at the t&g, the lane guides hold together well with the screws. I used aluminum post bolts to attach the sections. They have smooth tops so nothing can catch on them as the cars ride over. That was the most expensive part of the whole thing.
At HD, the 1/4" MDF is usually in the plywood or masonite section, not the paneling section. You might try a lumberyard if HD doesnt carry it in your area.
I like MDF because it is not prone to become a potato chip like plywood. The joints line up real good.
DERBYMAN
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DERBYMAN »

YES I have. It works great. We built a frame like the challenger tracks out of skid boards. we used wood lats as the lanes . Gave it to my kids for christmas in 2000. Of coarse we used white board as the top. The kids love it.
My boyscout is a den chief for our wolf den and he brought it to one of their den meetings and helped speed up their cars. He won his last 2 district races checking out his car on this track.
mrprevost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mrprevost »

DERBYMAN wrote:
YES I have. It works great. We built a frame like the challenger tracks out of skid boards. we used wood lats as the lanes . Gave it to my kids for christmas in 2000. Of coarse we used white board as the top.
Thanks DERBYMAN. My fridge and AC just went out. Have to postpone the track for a little while. ;(

Oh well. More time to think about the design. Planning to built a PIC-based timer too! It'll be a blast.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

I have somewhat similar intentions for a 3-Lane test track. Here is what I am considering:

(1) sheet of bright and smoothe white paneling, 3/16" thick, with a 2" patterned groove. I have seen this pattern at all the "box stores" for around $21. Using a 4" lane spacing, I will line up the center of my car guides with the vertical line pattern (2 lines spaced ~ 3/16").

(1) 1/4"x4'x4' (may buy a full 4'x8') of the dark hardboard, to be ripped into 1 5/8" lane guides. Will probably let the kids paint this a shiny color of their choice, since its very dark and ugly now.

(1) 9'x11 7/8" real wood board and (2) 8' plywood boards that just happen to be relaxing in my (very cold right now) garage;

(1) Microwizard 4-Line Cheap Timer kit with the serial option and additional features thrown in (this is a great deal at $60 !).

I will probably follow the simple and inexpensive PVC and rubber band based start gate pictured on this site from 2004 (I think).

I will have a near flat first 8' panelling section on the 9' board along with the first 6" of the curved section. The majority of this 2nd section would not have plywood underneath it. The track our pack borrows is made this way and it gives a very nice curve. I will do the same thing with the end of the 2nd section, attach it to at least 6" of the plywood that it will share with Section 3.

Probably make something very close to the original Cub Leader book fold-up brace sections, also with scrap material that I have around.

If I was making this for the Pack long term, I would rather make the lane guides from the "Rustnot" PVC lattice that comes in 1/4"x8'x1 9/16" (they mark it as 1 1/2" wide) pieces at Lowes, but that would be $60 and too much for a test track.

Nothing will be fancy about it, after all its a test track. I think next year (our race is in 6 weeks) I will set up the initially unused 4th lane sensors in the "bottom" of the curve position (or just beyond on the plywood) to give me 2 timers on whatever lane I take preference to. With their included software I will be able to to turn this lane off when wanting to see cars race (otherwise it would always "win").

I am hoping this lasts for the next five years until my boys are done with PWD.

Any problems with this plan ? Better (low cost) ideas ???

Thanks !
mrprevost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mrprevost »

Hi quadad.

Have not built the track yet. My son really wants to. I do know someone who has built a white board track (Teeeman from this forum) with some sort of vinyl center guides. It is really nice. His is only 15 feet or so though. I have room for 32 feet. He says that it is VERY smooth -- almost too smooth to be comparable to the more bumpy tracks that our packs have.

I want all my height in the first 8' section with the rest flat. 4' high at the top. The 1st foot would be flat and 45 deg down angle (way steep) and the last 6 inches would be flat, and the rest is an arc (section of a circle) of a little less than 4' in diameter. I think that the white board will handle that bend radius. Would have plywood supports on each side to keep the curve shaped. This is probable too extreme of a curve for a regular track. I want to get the car up to speed fast and have as much flat area as possible.

Not sure about joints. Teeeman used piano hinge and says that his joints are smooth enough. He also built a fabulous release mechanism.

Hope that helps.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Thanks mrprevost.

I think the joints are the key, but something I won't know too much about until I try. :roll: But at that point, I won't have invested much at all. I can't see doing a fancy connection when we haven't started working on our cars yet though.

In several ways though, I am modelling my test track after the one we are going to compete on. I am not sure if yours is doing that or not. I at first wanted to just shake things out (alignment, etc.), but since I was going to the effort I decided that I wanted a more representative result. My slope and curve will be as close as I can get looking at pictures from last year. I have read here how different slopes, longer straight-aways, etc. influence your car design some.

Good luck with yours, I hope to start on mine this weekend.
knavekid
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by knavekid »

While reading this topic, I had the idea that for a multi-lane test track with a timer, the lane guide for each lane could be different to simulate various track types. A smooth vinyl guide could simulate new or aluminum tracks, a wood guide for wood tracks, and perhaps a less than ideal wood guide to simulate weathered wood tracks. The lane surfaces could be painted or coated as well.

This would greatly enhance its utility as a test track.
mrprevost
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by mrprevost »

Wow knavekid. That's a cool idea. Thanks!