Retrofit Aluminum Plating

DIY tracks.
Kurt Wylde
Apprentice
Apprentice

Retrofit Aluminum Plating

Post by Kurt Wylde »

We have an old wooden track that needs to be refurbished.
Has anyone used the Beta Crafts Aluminum plating? http://www.betacrafts.com/catalog/produ ... ucts_id=61

I would like to find instructions on how it is installed, especially the joining of the track lengths.

Thanks.
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Retrofit Aluminum Plating

Post by Mr. Slick »

Guessing that you have a 4 section track like the :How-To" book? If so, here are some steps to follow,

First you have to remove the center guides from the old track surface.

The track sections of wood will need to be cut 3 inches shorter since the plating is only 93" long. . . . that or you will have to have two 8' 3" sections due to the over hang of 3" of plating at the end of section 1 and the start of section 4. . . assumes that section 2 and 3 join at the regular joint. The section 2 and 3 plating will end 3" before the wood ends causing the connectiong sections, 1 and 4, to extend 3" beyond the end of their wood base. . .. ouch!

The joints can be moved and reused if you drill appropriate holes in the plating.

The plating is attached with either screws or bolts to the old surface. You have to drill the holes in the plating. Just remember to use something that is less then 3/8" tall so the cars can still pass over it. I usually use either #6 or #8 screws in holes in the center grove.

The plating pieces should line up with the joints of the wooden pieces. The plating has alignment holes/pins at the ends fo each section to aid in alignment.

I would suggest adding another section(or two) to the end of the track since the aluminum plationg is going to be much faster the the wood.

You can also build a box frame for the plating. . . . "The Challenger" design is what to search for on the web or get a copy of the plans from beta-crafts. They used to have them at the BSA stores, don't know if they are still available via the BSA.
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.