A new Pinewood derby track

DIY tracks.
rwalexander
Apprentice
Apprentice

A new Pinewood derby track

Post by rwalexander »

This is a new track I built for our pack. It is 44 feet in length. And the average speed is in the 140- 150 scale miles per hour It has gone through 4 races so far. The track lanes are running within .03 of a second ( I love Grand Prix software) when I check the track before the race. This particular race group, which was my grandson's pack had more slow cars than normal. But everyone had a good time. The winner for this pack was a cub scout's car that he did all by himself.
I hope I posted this in the right area.

https://youtu.be/1zybD2txRm4
stang68
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: A new Pinewood derby track

Post by stang68 »

Looks like a well built track,nice work.
What is the height of the start area from the floor?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:goodjob: rwalexander, that is a really nice track! The cantilevered starting gate is a design I'm not familiar with - did that idea come from somewhere else? Like stang, I am wondering how high is the starting gate? (It looks a little lower than the usual 4 feet.)

I'm curious if others have any opinions as to whether the very long, gradual slope poses any advantages or disadvantages to Cub racers?
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Very nice set up. Looks to be well made. Very nice work! :bigups:

You can add me to the start height curiosity list. Also the .03 variance in lanes is from fastest to slowest, what do you think is responsible?
rwalexander
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rwalexander »

stang68 wrote:Looks like a well built track,nice work.
What is the height of the start area from the floor?
43 inches is the height of the start gate
rwalexander
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rwalexander »

FatSebastian wrote::goodjob: rwalexander, that is a really nice track! The cantilevered starting gate is a design I'm not familiar with - did that idea come from somewhere else? Like stang, I am wondering how high is the starting gate? (It looks a little lower than the usual 4 feet.)

I'm curious if others have any opinions as to whether the very long, gradual slope poses any advantages or disadvantages to Cub racers?
The cantilevered design is my own idea. I had too many excited cub scouts accidently kicking the track support on the old track. As for the gradual slope thing. It probably is a :idk: disadvantage? ( I do not know) if the cubs were going to a regional race event and the track was the steeper design. There is a lot of debated about that, just check some of the posts here at derby talk. The average speeds are 140 to 150 for most of the boys on this track.
Where I live at, we just do the one race each year with each pack unit in my area. My personal ideas about pinewood derby are having fun, building something with Dad, Mom, or other adults, then competition. I have found this to be the best way for everyone in my area to enjoy the Pinewood Derby.
rwalexander
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rwalexander »

doct1010 wrote:Very nice set up. Looks to be well made. Very nice work! :bigups:

You can add me to the start height curiosity list. Also the .03 variance in lanes is from fastest to slowest, what do you think is responsible?
I'm not sure. I am a wood worker sort of guy, and the numbers thing gets me mixed up sometimes. :wall:

But this is how I check out to make sure the track is running okay. And the lanes are pretty close.
After setting up the track, and getting it level, and straight.
I use my (1) test car. It is exactly 5 oz. and has no graphite in the wheels.
I run it on each lane 2 times (a total of 8 races)and record the times.
Then if I find a large speed difference I check the track for possible causes, usually it is a connecting bolt that was not tightened down, and causing a bigger height difference between tracks.
It takes me about an hour to get set up for a race
These are a few of the close time track deviations from our last race.

Perry .0170
Belnap .0947
Beautler .0034
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

rwalexander wrote:The cantilevered design is my own idea. I had too many excited cub scouts accidently kicking the track support on the old track.
The design certainly appears to be thought out, sturdy, and exhibits excellent craftsmanship. Any storage advantages to this design? :thinking: (Transportation and off-season storage has always been my primary considerations.)
rwalexander wrote:43 inches is the height of the start gate
rwalexander wrote:The average speeds are 140 to 150 for most of the boys on this track.
Makes sense - average speed along the straightaway tends to be governed by the height of the starting gate.
rwalexander wrote:As for the gradual slope thing. It probably is a :idk: disadvantage? ( I do not know) if the cubs were going to a regional race event and the track was the steeper design.
I think an argument might be made that the lower speed and gentle slope could allow for greater stability for some car designs? But as you astutely point out, perhaps that could be a disadvantage with higher-level races on a very different track.
rwalexander
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by rwalexander »

FatSebastian wrote:The design certainly appears to be thought out, sturdy, and exhibits excellent craftsmanship. Any storage advantages to this design? :thinking: (Transportation and off-season storage has my primary consideration.
I built a box out of 1/2" plywood to store the track. It is 24" wide by 20" high by 96" long. Which allows plenty of room for the track and other items to be stored. The box also has heavy duty caster wheels with a handle on one end so I can push it off the trailer and into the area where the derby will be held.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

Video seems to have been removed so I can't see your track.

Just useing this freedom track http://www.pinewoodderbytrack.com/" target="_blank

And this track for 2 examples http://www.besttrack.com/" target="_blank

The 40' freedom track and 42' Best track start at roughly about the same height and have just about the same amount of running length. (Actually best track has a little shorter running distance).

The freedom track uses about 14 to 16 feet of track to form the arch/hill before the flat running surface of the track whereas the best track only uses about 9 to 12 feet of track for the arch/hill before the flat running surface of the flat track.

Therefore the best track has a longer flat running surface after the arch/hill .

So really I do agree with the once or twice stressed argument on this board that the freedom track awards weight placement more so than the best track and the best track rewards alignment more so than the freedom track.

I personnally believe that the freedom series track formed curve is more appropriate for the age level of scout age people.

Also another major factor is the running surface finish, Smooth finished aluminim surface verses smooth wood verses rough wood. I would say that all 3 of those different running surfaces also reward or punishes different traits of the car such as 3 or 4 wheels on the track, short or long wheel base, grooved wheels or slick wheels , etc......

Always try to know the track features you will be racing on