Practice runs

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
k2ag
Apprentice
Apprentice

Practice runs

Post by k2ag »

This is our first pwd and I was selected for the race comittee. They want me to bring my sons car the night we set up the track to make sure everyting is working. My problem is after we break in and lube the wheels am I going to have problems by the time he races? How many runs practice runs can we do. I don't want to wreck the car before the actual race. Any advise? Thanks Jon
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Practice runs

Post by Darin McGrew »

k2ag wrote:This is our first pwd and I was selected for the race comittee. They want me to bring my sons car the night we set up the track to make sure everyting is working. My problem is after we break in and lube the wheels am I going to have problems by the time he races? How many runs practice runs can we do. I don't want to wreck the car before the actual race. Any advise? Thanks Jon
We never use "real" cars for practice runs after setting up the track. We always use cars from previous years.
Derby Wizard
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Derby Wizard »

I've been on the race committee for several years. If you need a test car and don't have a 'beater' car for this purpose...pick up an extra car kit, use the uncut block of wood, wheels, axles...or if so inclined, spen an hour and create an unpaited wedge, with decent axles, apply some graphite, and get it reasonably close to 5oz and create a beater car.

I be reluctant to even use a previous years car if it has any sentimental value.

Plan on at least one test car getting destroyed at some point!

Derby Wizard
Commander Dan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Commander Dan »

We have a Practice Car. It is shaped like a Killer Whale and We call it the Free Willy Track Car. Also, this is the only car that anyone is allowed to run practice runs agianst prior to the race. Funny thing it is, it's un-weighted and still beats 2/3rds of the competition cars.
Commander Dan
WarpSpeedINC
Merchant
Merchant

Post by WarpSpeedINC »

We set the track up a day or two before the race and hold a "Test and tune" workshop. This gives us a chance to help anybody with last minute details, help with alignment or anyother issues they may have. This also give us a chance to check the timers and software.
This is also a good time for pre-registration and tech. All cars must go through tech inspection on race morning, but this gives us a head start on numbering cars and recording names for the software.
On race day, no one is allowed on the track until race time. But with this early set-up, things seem to go smoother come race day.

Warp Speed Inc.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

WarpSpeedINC -

Where do you race that you can setup 2 days in advance??

We meet in a school gym. We're lucky to be able to setup a hour early.
WarpSpeedINC
Merchant
Merchant

Post by WarpSpeedINC »

The church we hold our pack and den meetings at are very helpful. We usualy hold our derby on a Saturday morning. If the church doesn't have any functions, we set up Thursday evening and start to run instead of holding a den meeting. This gives us two evenings to make sure everything is working ok, with both the track and the cubs cars. This gives another chance to teach the cubs the basics of alignment and staging (especialy the Tigers).
I know most packs aren't as fortunate. If you are using a school gym, try to set-up the evening before, and hold a mini "Tune" workshop. It sure makes Saturday go alot smoother, and with a little help from the more knowledgable, most cubs get to be a little more competitive come race day.

Good Luck and Happy Racing!!

Warp Speed Inc.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!