Wheel Inspection

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wheel Inspection

Post by gpraceman »

As most rules prohibit shaped wheels and state that a light sanding is permitted, but that can be vague and subjective. How do some of you race coordinators deal with this issue? Do you actually measure the wheel diameter and width and somehow determine that the tread is not rounded?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wheel Inspection

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Randy, since we are scouts, we run the BSA kits. Our rules state that the tread line must be visible and that the track contact area must be flat when placed on a table.

Da Graphite Kid
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Our district inspection procedure is published on the district web site at http://www.wotamalo.org/wot03ins.htm. It includes specific objective inspection steps that cover both worked and unworked wheels. (An unworked wheel fails the "cylindrical tread" test. :) )

Of course, if you see opportunities to improve the inspection procedure... to make it simpler or more accurate, I would like to hear from you!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

We just inspect the wheels visually. Anything that looks modified is rejected, and we hand them a new set of wheels to replace the modified ones. (Each box of 10 kits comes with spare set of wheels and axles.)

There isn't much need to modify CSB's current wheels. They come with a narrow ridge (about 1/8 inch wide) down the center of the tread, and have few "manufacturing irregularities" to remove.

The last time wheels were an issue, I think it was from someone using a kit they bought in a store, rather than our standard CSB kits. But that was a while ago.
jnettleton
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jnettleton »

Why not just make improvements to the injection molding process for wheels? There must be ways to change the process and eliminate the outer rim imperfections. I was talking with someone in our pack who works in this area and he had lots of suggestions.

I know it would take part of the fun out of getting your car ready but wheel inspections seem so subjective to me.

If they don't make any changes, why not sell a package of 12 wheels so packs can make it easier to enforce the proper wheel dimensions?

Jerry
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

jnettleton,
I'm guessing that the wheel manufacturer doesn't make enough money on the wheels to cover the cost of having a new tool made or maybe they just don't care. :cry: If they did, I would think that locating the molding gate to inside of the wheel - on the wheel hub (outside not inside) - would be their best option. They should also evaluate some of the newer injection plastics that are out there as well.

I wonder if the company that manufacturers the kits for BSA is actually the one who makes the wheels, axles and pineblock (while we are at it, let's get everything fixed!). Does anyone know?

Does anyone know how we can go about contacting someone to maybe get things fixed or at least to make them better than they are?

If all of the wheels, axles and pineblocks did not have the imperfections that they do, than the pwd races would be more about woodworking. I believe that this would make the racing more fair as everyone would want to race under a 'no modifications' rule for the wheels, axles and slots as what was 'stock' would be the best/fastest. And all this for $3.55 a kit! :lol:
Sorry, it's time for my medication again! :mrgreen:

Da Graphite Kid
Derby Wizard
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Derby Wizard »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:jnettleton,
I wonder if the company that manufacturers the kits for BSA is actually the one who makes the wheels, axles and pineblock (while we are at it, let's get everything fixed!). Does anyone know?
According to the Hodges Hobby House web site and an old post on scouter.com the new manufacturers of the kit is, "Homecrafters Manufacturing (also known as "Kahoot"), 1859 Kenion Point, Snellville, GA 30278. 770/982 6616"
DMWOOD
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DMWOOD »

This is a link to Kahoot but there is not much information here.

http://www.loganindustries.com/kahoot.html
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

I sent an e-mail to Kahoot and asked them what the type of plastic is used in the BSA wheels (for recycling purposes) this is their reply.

"Our BSA wheels are a proprietary blend of polymer styrene plastics...for your recycling purposes.

Kahoot Products, Inc."

So they are indeed made of plastic! :roll:

Terry
Derby Wizard
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Derby Wizard »

Terry...What a great and clever question to gain information! I'm going to think about this for awhile and see what I can come up with to get some additional information. Waiting may help me anyway as I don't want to be the 100th person to ask a question this week. :D Then again...maybe they are used to it.
terryep
Merchant
Merchant

Post by terryep »

Thanks Derby Wizard, I was happy to get a response. I'm not sure if it helps our lude analysis...

Terry