Bubble wrap for the staging table

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Husker
Journeyman
Journeyman

Bubble wrap for the staging table

Post by Husker »

As I'm not likely to contribute a race-scheduling scheme, write any software, or give building tips, here’s an idea that came to me at districts.

Next year, we are going to put bubble wrap on the staging table to keep the cars from rolling around. We have been turning cars upside down. For some cars, this isn't practical. I was tearing up a piece of bubble wrap to set those cars on. Then it dawned on me to cover the whole table.
Tomcat14
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Bubble wrap for the staging table

Post by Tomcat14 »

Yet another good idea. Keep 'em coming!!
With Christ we are all Winners!!
Jungle Jim
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Jungle Jim »

Convoluted foam works great.
Jungle Jim
nosam116
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by nosam116 »

Fabulous idea! I think I'll suggest it as well; it especially makes sense for any accidental drops during the staging process.
Each day is a good race day!
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

Here's another way: :idea:

We taped 1/4 flat molding across our rect. folding tables. (We used three strips for three classes in our case.) Then tilted the table slightly by putting cardboard under two of the table legs. The car is "parked" with the wheels resting on the molding. By having the slight incline, every car is firmly against the 'curb', making a neat looking parking lot 8)

And another way: :idea:
I saw this idea at a Awana GP Regional race.

Someone had cut rect. holes into a 1/4 or 3/8 :?: sheet of plywood that was trimmed to fit their table.
Lot of holes = lot of work, but it looked cool 8) and nothing rolled away :!:
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
Big Ron
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Big Ron »

Well I am new on here I have my 2 boys place there cars on a block of wood so the wheels dont touch the table and the cars wont roll around.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

My solution puts the cars at a safe height for the boys to manage. Each table holds 50 cars. Legs fold under on PVC-pipe hinges. Lips on table edges and centerline are about 1/2" above surface.

Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

Nice table Stan. Build it yourself? I like the quality workmanship :wink:

I thought I'd post these staging tables from Piantedosi in case other people haven't seen them yet.
They were posted in another post, "Best or Freedom?" http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1209&start=30

Looking at Stan's staging table reminds about finding the 'right' way to go about design judging the cars. Do most people put a numbered sticker on the top or bottom of the car? Or at all? Is there a forum addressing this issue?

HAPPY BELATED THANKSGIVING (belch) :oops:

Dave
David L. Barnes
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

dave4him wrote:Nice table Stan. Build it yourself? I like the quality workmanship :wink:
Thank you, Dave. Designed it "from the top down," literally. The dimensions and characteristics of the top and its height dictated the rest.

Made 9 of 'em. They stack in a 30" high pile that is about 7-1/2' long and 16" wide.

Sides of these are resawn 1X6 but when I do it again, I'll use plywood of comparable thickness, I think. The resawn 1X6 doesn't stay true enough. The top panel is 1/4" stranded that floats in grooves. The hard part was working out strong, stable legs that would fold into the limited space below the top panel.

I haven't documented the plans online yet, partly because I had to fabricate too many of the pieces and would be hard to duplicate. If there is interest, I can take a few more pics for folks to work from.

On the tiered display rack ... I like it if adults were extracting cars from the rack. I design for use by youngsters, and the tiers have too much territory (read "too many cars") that the youngster must reach over to get his own car. Second issue is that the car is withdrawn from the tiered rack but moving it up and sideways. If the car is not lifted enough before moving laterally, the rack tries to pull the car from the youngster's grip (by catching on the sides of the wheels), and that endangers the entire rack, the cars below the youngster's car, and the youngster's car itself.

In our district races each youngster takes his car from and returns it to the pit at least 5 times, and most cars many more than that. Safety of the cars during those activities is important to them and me.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by dave4him »

Stan Pope said:
On the tiered display rack ... I like it if adults were extracting cars from the rack. I design for use by youngsters, and the tiers have too much territory (read "too many cars") that the youngster must reach over to get his own car. Second issue is that the car is withdrawn from the tiered rack but moving it up and sideways. If the car is not lifted enough before moving laterally, the rack tries to pull the car from the youngster's grip (by catching on the sides of the wheels), and that endangers the entire rack, the cars below the youngster's car, and the youngster's car itself.

Good point Stan.
This rack is designed for adults in mind. I hadn't pictured in my mind our 5, 6, & 7 year old Sparks, (Awana), kids placing and retrieving their cars to this rack. :wall: It's still a nice rack though.
It kind of goes 'hand in hand' with your signature, "If it's not for the boys (& girls), it's for the birds." :D

Any thoughts on how design judges are to/not to handle the cars? I searched the forums and haven't read much about how others treat this topic. The ID number on top is a solution, not my preference though. Bottom is better but of no help to the judge. Maybe I should start a new topic on this?
David L. Barnes