Different times between Cars

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Evause
Apprentice
Apprentice

Different times between Cars

Post by Evause »

WE are having a fun raiser in 2 weeks to raise money for the scouts. The race is open to everyone. Many groups are interested but theyre are a few different car makes used in some groups, Like the awana cars which are 5oz and the Royal Rangers which are 5.5 oz ofcourse all our boys have BSA kits 5oz. I know the only way to do it is for there to be different classes but just qurious if anyone has any idea how much difference between the stock awana, royal rangers and BSA times would be if ran on the same track. Thanks for any info.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Different times between Cars

Post by gpraceman »

Evause wrote:WE are having a fun raiser in 2 weeks to raise money for the scouts. The race is open to everyone. Many groups are interested but theyre are a few different car makes used in some groups, Like the awana cars which are 5oz and the Royal Rangers which are 5.5 oz ofcourse all our boys have BSA kits 5oz. I know the only way to do it is for there to be different classes but just qurious if anyone has any idea how much difference between the stock awana, royal rangers and BSA times would be if ran on the same track. Thanks for any info.
I had thought that RR were also using a 5.0 ounce weight limit.

The biggest issue that you will have to deal with between the different car kits is the wheels and axles. They are enough different to cause advantages/disadvantages assuming that everything else on the cars are equal. I think you would be better off making separate race classes or to hold an "Outlaw" race where the rules are much looser (including weight limit).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

I agree with gpraceman that you don't want to run these cars together. Given standard configuration for each kit type, and similar preparation, the Royal Ranger kits would have a big advantage (lighter weight and skinnier wheels, longer wheelbase, more weight). The Awana and BSA kits would be similar, but I would give the advantage to BSA (assuming the original Awana wheelbase was used - if the Awana wheelbase was extended, then the Awana kit would have the advantage).

Why not require PineCar kits? These are readily available at hobby and craft stores, and would put everyone on an equal basis.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

MaxV wrote:Why not require PineCar kits? These are readily available at hobby and craft stores, and would put everyone on an equal basis.
Are PineCar kits the ones with a one-piece axle with two plastic hub caps holding the wheels on? We had a lot of problems with those the year we used them. The nail-style axles are a lot less trouble.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Darin McGrew wrote:Are PineCar kits the ones with a one-piece axle with two plastic hub caps holding the wheels on? We had a lot of problems with those the year we used them. The nail-style axles are a lot less trouble.
Yep. Those are them. The caps do fall off way too easily, then you have to hunt around for them.

Personally, I will not be buying any more Pinecar brand products. They have been bullying several small derby merchants over supposed trademark infringement. They are also trying to trademark the term "Pinecar Derby". How does "accessories used in conducting model car racing programs, namely, weigh-in scales, racing forms, winner ribbons, program guides and participants certificates." constitute a derby? Sorry, I digress...
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by FRANKLIN WHALEY »

I think Randy [Davis] hit the nail on the head. From what I've seen at our state race, the RA wheels on a well prepared car are faster than BSA and others. But it may have been due to the cars not being prepared as well. I once made a car with BSA wheels for our dad's race because there were no more RA wheels left . That car was the fastest at the race. Including my son's RA car. If it's a fund raiser I wouldn't have any problem running them all together. I would however enforce the 5 oz. weight limit. The boys might get some ideas from seeing the different type cars run against them.

[edited by gpraceman]
BE A FISHER OF MEN!