What to do about bought e-bay car?

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

What to do about bought e-bay car?

Post by doct1010 »

Hello all,

My first year as our derby chair. We have a pre-race weigh in which usaually coincides with a pack meeting. An opportunity for the kids to weigh in, make adjustments and see what others have cooked up. Well... Wouldn't you know, I notice a car that looks strangely familar. I get home and check, sure enough one of Derby Masters e-bay cars, or perhaps an exact copy? Very nice btw, impeccable paint and prep. A bit too perfect judging by dads manicured finger nails. :?

Question what to do? I said nothing at weigh in. But certainly need to address the situ at registration. The diplomat in me says handle with care, however this is a blatant violation. Help, how would you handle it?
NE-II-143
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: What to do about bought e-bay car?

Post by NE-II-143 »

Step 1) Print the page from eBay.
Step 2) Show it to your Cubmaster.
Step 2) Should be to ask the boy (in the presence of Dad) if he made the car.
Step 4) Will depend on the outcome of the first 3.

A lot depends on the grounds you were asked to serve as a PWD Chair. In most cases your position is to just check the car for technical fitness & adherence to some physical standards. However it gets goofy when you know a violation is in your hand. Was "eBay bought cars" a matter of discussion prior to your accepting this position?
Pack 177 Stratford, CT

...and a good old Eagle too.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

NE.

Thanks for the prompt and insightful response. As Derby chair I wear many hats, primarily because I am one of the few parents who show an avid interest. I am responsible for technical inspection. Our rules are quite liberal. We allow extended wheel base and alternative lubes. Wheels and axles stock with minor sand and polish.

We have not discussed the issue as it relates to e-bay bought cars specificly. However a few years back there was an issue with a show car that was a masterpiece created by a well known local artist. The car was allowed, much to my chagrin. To complicate matters the cub in question is from another pack with which we have a cooperative arrangement for the PWD. (small pack without track)

I will take your advice as it seems simple and straight forward. Race is this weekend, I will let cubmater decide.
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

doct1010 wrote:Question what to do? I said nothing at weigh in. But certainly need to address the situ at registration. The diplomat in me says handle with care, however this is a blatant violation. Help, how would you handle it?
Using the guiding principle of avoidance of Race Day controversy, why wait till registration? If, in fact, the car is illegal, then my goals would be to make this determination as soon as possible and give the offenders a chance to build a legal car if they need to.

I would let the Pack Committe Chair know immediately, if nothing else -- assuming it's not the same person whose son has the eBay car.
ronin718
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ronin718 »

If your rules state the car must be made by the boy (with help from parent), and you believe this car is bought, then you have a violation of the rules. NE-II has the right idea.

You can only go on the integrity of the boy and his father, but I'll lay odds that the boy will fess up if it's bought. Talk with the boy with the father present, but behind the boy, and watch what happens. If the boy says he built the car, then you'll have to take them at their word unless you can prove otherwise from visual evidence.

Good luck...
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

This is a delicate matter.

You dont wanna accuse, But I think making it clear with a letter to all particpants or e-mail re interating there policy on this issue. Id start with that aporach first.

I think if its going to be addressed, it should be with the father or parent with him. Not the child.

Having the pack leader present is key. when doing that.

If you cant prove it 100% without admitence. Then the car runs if no violation is found.

sporty
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

sporty wrote:I think if its going to be addressed, it should be with the father or parent with him. Not the child.
You are right on with this point Sporty

sporty wrote:If you cant prove it 100% without admitence. Then the car runs if no violation is found.
Innocent until proven guilty.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Thank you all for the thoughtful comments. A resolution is at hand. Armed with the e-bay listing I provided, our Cubmaster contacted parent. He very graciously read him our rules regarding construction. Father was very truthful, in fact did not argue his case as I had anticipated. (Father is a lawyer) Admitted he bought car claiming he "didn't realize it was a rules violation". :roll: He acknowledged his skills are limited and did it for his son's self esteem. Cub was given new kit and help was offered to get him going.
NE-II-143
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by NE-II-143 »

I hope the Boy now has time to create something he is proud of & learns something about the build in the process.

Well done doc1010.

Steve
Pack 177 Stratford, CT

nosam116
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by nosam116 »

He acknowledged his skills are limited and did it for his son's self esteem. Cub was given new kit and help was offered to get him going.

Now extend the hand and offer the dad/lawyer and his son some assistance with building the new car. Dad may not have the equipment/or a lot of extra time if he's like a buddy of mine. For this boy and his lawyer-dad, an hour or two would go a long way in helping - maybe not build a winning racer, but a car the boy will be proud of.

Nice work dealing with a touchy situation.
Each day is a good race day!
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

nosam,
Precisely what we did, and what I intended when stating "help was offered to get him going". I invited both to my home work shop and we built car as a group. Derby is this evening. Hope he does well. Much more rewarding experience knowing he had a hand in construction.
NE-II-143
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by NE-II-143 »

How went the race? Did the Boy enjoy it?
Pack 177 Stratford, CT

doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

NE,
Thanks again for your insight. Kid had a blast, so did dad. He finished 3rd in his den and was delighted. Got a medal and was grinin ear to ear. Did not fair as well in final. Not bad considering we slapped it together in an hour or so. Basic wedge ripped on table saw with jig I made. Pro body tool the slots, Forstner and good to go. Lent him my drill so HE could do axle prep at home with dad. Assembled it onsite race day! Paint was a bit tacky. I had him rub it down with excess graphite from pit box. It worked!
My sons car won in a VERY close final. Wish we had a timer rather than position lights. Every heat seemed like hundreths seperating top three. All in all a memorable event.
nosam116
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by nosam116 »

Sounds like a great day for all and because of the last minute work, I'm sure the boy will probably remember it for his lifetime.
:D
Each day is a good race day!
Rainman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rainman »

The worst thing that could have happened was that nothing was said to the father and son. If the puchased car had won, there could have been hard feelings from the other competitors.

I tip my hat you for having the will to "call" them on it.

I just love happy endings.

jr
Part of Richmond KY Pack 376. Midland Trail District.