When & How to Assign Car Numbers?

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

When & How to Assign Car Numbers?

Post by RMoose »

We are thinking about assigning numbers to each car at the time the car kits are handed out. Each kit would include a paper stating something like "your car number is ..." This would be the only number allowed on the car. It would then be the registration and identification number for that car during the race and when car design judging takes place.

Has anyone done this before? What are the potential problems with this approach? I would like to find out now rather than on race day!

This has come up because last year we used numbered stickers to keep track of the cars and during the race these kept falling off. The year before we wrote numbers on the bottom of the car and, of course, during the race no one could see them. We are looking for a better method this year!
We are Ambassadors for Christ
dave4him
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: When & How to Assign Car Numbers?

Post by dave4him »

RMoose said:
We are thinking about assigning numbers to each car at the time the car kits are handed out. Each kit would include a paper stating something like "your car number is ..." This would be the only number allowed on the car. It would then be the registration and identification number for that car during the race and when car design judging takes place.
We always assign numbers when our Awana clubbers buy their kits. They get to pick their number from a simple, but effective numbered list. First come, first serve is how we do it. Each car has a different number. When a clubber pays for their kit, they pick an available number and mark it off from list. If you wish, send me an email address through the PM (private message) feature, and I'll send my Word doc. sign-up sheet and number sheet. You can taylor the sign-up sheet to your specific club needs.
This has come up because last year we used numbered stickers to keep track of the cars and during the race these kept falling off.
We use those round, colored stickers, about the size of a nickel, and have not had any trouble with them falling off.
How fast do y'all race those cars? :shock:
David L. Barnes
"Reaching boys and girls with the Gospel of Christ, to train them to serve Him"
michael4262
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by michael4262 »

We have used both methods, assigning numbers during registration and pre-assigning during distribution. I prefer pre-assigning myself ... control issue :mrgreen:

We have also used the stickers, not my favorite due to risk of peeling off ... however, we ran for a couple of years with no problems. Last year we used sharpie markers, black for the lighter painted vehicles and silver for the darker ones. We marked the numbers on the bottom. This worked very well.

This year we pre-assigned the numbers and requested that the boys use the number that was assigned on their car somewhere. Not confident in 100% compliance :D , so I think I'm going to push for the sharpie marker solution again.

Good luck!
- Mike
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

dave4him wrote:We always assign numbers when our Awana clubbers buy their kits. They get to pick their number from a simple, but effective numbered list. First come, first serve is how we do it. Each car has a different number. When a clubber pays for their kit, they pick an available number and mark it off from list.
I like doing it this way as well. It allows the builder to make the car number part of the design. Kids also like to pick their favorite number, if they can.

There will always be some that forget to put the number on the car, so you do need to be ready with some sticky dots to put a number on the car during check-in.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

dave4him wrote: We use those round, colored stickers, about the size of a nickel, and have not had any trouble with them falling off.
How fast do y'all race those cars? :shock:
I'm not sure why we had so much trouble with the stickers. We used round Avery stickers (labels?). I think they were 1/2 inch or something close. I would think these ought to work OK. However, it wasn't every car that lost labels, just some of the cars - maybe something about the paint/finish on those cars :?:
Still, a few of the stickers did fall off while the car was running down the track :shock:
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

michael4262 wrote: Last year we used sharpie markers, black for the lighter painted vehicles and silver for the darker ones. We marked the numbers on the bottom. This worked very well.
I like the idea of having a dark sharpie for light cars and a light one for the dark cars! We have used sharpie's in the past. It's quick, easy, and it won't fall off. :lol:
But I have never liked writing on top of the cars with them (don't want to deface those works of art!) and don't much like writing on the bottom since that involves picking the car up every time you need to see the number.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

RMoose wrote:I'm not sure why we had so much trouble with the stickers. We used round Avery stickers (labels?). I think they were 1/2 inch or something close. I would think these ought to work OK. However, it wasn't every car that lost labels, just some of the cars - maybe something about the paint/finish on those cars :?:
We use rectangular labels, about 1/4" by 1/2". And yeah, there are some car finishes that the labels have a tough time sticking to. But we keep some blank labels and a Sharpie pen in the pit area, ready to replace any label that looks like it's starting to come off.

One thing I've discovered about sticking labels or duct tape or whatever to "difficult" surfaces is that they usually stick better if you don't mess with them. Just stick it on and leave it alone. Additional rubbing or rolling or pressing doesn't make it stick better; it just wiggles it loose.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

I'd like to move this discussion in a slightly different direction.

If the numbers to be assigned in advance will affect who races against whom, then you have some special problems. There must not be a possibility for anyone to reasonably suspect that the matchups are prearranged or that partiality was involved. The best way is to show the "by chance" action totally out in the open. For instance, the racer could draw a numbered kit box blind or could draw a number blind. The new owner of the number should not be known to the folks making the charts! In fact, each racer should be instructed to keep the number secret, showing proof of ownership, if contested, by showing the original draw slip. Even this has possible problems, though. Advance check-in creates a "window of suspicion."

There is an easier way, though

Some racing schemes use charts in which the racers are represented by numbers. Prior to racing the chart numbers are associated with specific racers. When I run such a race, I put up the chart and then I have the competitors draw their racing number blind. (They wear it, just so all of us can see who is who!)

With a computerized chart, you probably have the opportunity to substitute each chart number with the racer's name and/or assigned number, using a random draw to make the association between chart number and assigned number.

-----------

Lessee... I've got my belt on, my suspenders on ... anybody loan me some safety pins to attach my pants to my shirt tail???
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

Stan Pope wrote:If the numbers to be assigned in advance will affect who races against whom, then you have some special problems. There must not be a possibility for anyone to reasonably suspect that the matchups are prearranged or that partiality was involved.
Good point Stan - we do not want the appearance of impropriety to mar our race!

We have always used randomly assigned racing matchups, so that does not concern me too much. I am more concerned that the design competition judge not know whose car is whose - hence the desire to identify cars by numbers selected prior to race day. Any design judge present during registration would find it relatively easy to figure out which car goes with which child.

That is another aspect to the appearance of partiality that I think ought to be considered!
michael4262
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by michael4262 »

Just a quick note ... we assign numbers to each racer at the time we hand out the car kits, so the kids can get their number painted on the car and not have to have a sticker or sharpie marker messing up their cool cars.

We assign the numbers starting with the Tiger den and working up to the Webelos II's. The numbers are just numbers to us. We are going to be using the GPRM software this year and the Den's race only cars within the Den, except for the grand finals. Hopefully there won't be any question about opponent assignment as we are trying to maximize lanes/opponents.

We assign the numbers for all members of the pack, regardless of whether or not they participate. The software is great for this, allowing the racers to actually be "checked in" on race day. We'll generate the heats on race day and have a "hard copy" as backup just in case.

If at check-in the car doesn't have a number or has the incorrect number, we'll sharpie the number on the bottom and place a small number sticker on the top (to eliminate excessive handling to determine #) :mrgreen:
- Mike
nosam116
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by nosam116 »

We assign numbers when the kits are handed out along with the rules.
Each Scout is instructed to place their number between the front axles or close to the front. Numbers on the side of the car is also allowed.
For race day, I print a program for the day so everyone knows who's car is who's. It also helps that we have a computer projection on the racing on the wall for all to follow.
As far as assigning numbers, we break each rank into groups so that each group has similar numbers for easier identification ie 1-19 Tigers, 20-39 Wolves and so on; this allows for any last minute additions, if any, to each division. For Open Class we simply assign numbers beginning with 70 and go as needed.
good luck
Each day is a good race day!