Running an outlaw race.

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
M7 Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Running an outlaw race.

Post by M7 Racing »

I would like to set up an outlaw race for our pack where we can have anyone make a car with limited restrictions (just dimentions, weight, no mercury). I think this would be great fun for the pack and for the parents and older siblings that can't race. The issue is the time involved in running this race. We will race 150 cars this year on a six lane track. This mean we will have to have 900 races! This already makes for a long day. If we add an outlaw race in this also my fear is the day will get way to long.

If anyone of you out there run an outlaw race in addition to your regular pack race can you let me know how you set it up? Do you do it on the same day? Different day?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Running an outlaw race.

Post by Stan Pope »

4Racers wrote:We will race 150 cars this year on a six lane track. This mean we will have to have 900 races! This already makes for a long day.
Why would you need 900 races? That would be a 6 round PPN! Way overkill.

In one round of PPN each racer runs once in each lane and there are as many heats as there are cars.

900 heats would be 36 runs per racer... and that would be a long day even for the most dedicated

The math:
900 heats X 6 runs (lanes) per heat / 150 racers = 36 runs/racer
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
M7 Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by M7 Racing »

lol...sorry did my math wrong...too early in the morning. Each car races only six times (once in each lane).
wcstormcrow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by wcstormcrow »

This is a topic near and dear to my wooden heart.

Here's a few suggestions:

1. Make sure your stopping method will handle heavier cars. That was my principal fear, and I tested it extensively this year in preparation for a 'Super' open class next year.

2. Consider not only creating this class, but inviting some guests that would look forward to testing it...such as a Troop you have close ties to.

3. Check the length restrictions, you may be able to have cars longer than 7 inches race. Double check any height restriction you may or may not have in place (cars have to pass under the finish gate with many timers.

4. Always run it the same day. We run our current 'Open Class' immediately after running our last group of Scouts. While our open class runs using the same rules as the regular derby (to simplify weigh-in and to alleviate confusion), the idea for a Super class is one we've been toying with for years and will most likely launch next year.

I'm anxious to hear other responses on this. Anyone who runs an 'Unlimited' type class, step up to the microphone and let us all know what has worked - and more importantly, what has failed.
campcrafter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by campcrafter »

I was thinking of having an open race at a time other than the official pack race. Say during the summer.

I also thought of having a Saturday in the Fall before "the season begins" for boy and parent to come in the morning, build a car on-site and race it.

I think this might be fun and would be a learning experience to prepare for building and racing at the official pack derby.

Any thoughts?

CC
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

campcrafter wrote:I was thinking of having an open race at a time other than the official pack race. Say during the summer.

I also thought of having a Saturday in the Fall before "the season begins" for boy and parent to come in the morning, build a car on-site and race it.

I think this might be fun and would be a learning experience to prepare for building and racing at the official pack derby.

Any thoughts?

CC
Valid reasoning. We choose to have it the same day as derby at conclusion of cubs race, more for convience of track set-up and logistics involved than any other. It also serves to keep more of the crowd around for finals. In past many tiger, wolf and bears would leave once division was run, if not in finals. Boys seem to really enjoy it. In fact hard to keep their cars off track, many want to race their dads.

I would also reiterate previous comments regarding track safety due to added weight. I had my 7oz. car on razor wheels with a bushing and needle axles crash so hard into stop box it never raced again :( even with added foam. (suspect it hit an anchor bolt in foam) Subsequently I have reworked the stop box, very similar design to new one by Piantedosi, in which track falls away under car.
scoutfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by scoutfrog »

Our pack has an open class race each year. As far as i know there are no set rules for the open(this was the first year we got printed rules for the scouts to follow) but every one keeps it pretty mild. they do check width,length,weight(5oz),and bottom clearence. everyone uses stock wheels and i've seen some extended wheelbase cars. but besides that the sky is the limit( see"building a car for the open race" under car building tips) our open race is run after the cubs have finished their four qualifing races while the points are being added up for the run-off to crown pack champion. The cub master(now moved on to boy scouts) always brought out his block of cheese which is a wedge of yellow wood drilled full of 1/2 holes with a mouse trap game mouse on top. plus there are about 4-5 other cars that show up every year.