Weighing the cars ... safely

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Weighing the cars ... safely

Post by Stan Pope »

For a few years I watched organizers do inspection with flat pan scales. The cars (at least the better cars) would each try to roll off the scale. A few even managed to get away.

A "bridge", a tool to support the car by its belly, can be constructed from a simple "car-block size" piece of wood and can be used with some scales, but not all, because the scale capacity needs to include both the car and the bridge. Solution: lighten the bridge! In the bridges below, the sides and top have been routed to approximately 1/16" thickness. The ends could be shortened, too, but I had the weight reduction that I needed for use with the CS-200 scales.

For usage, the "flat side" is up and the bridge is centered on the scale. If the scale pan is small, offset the bridge and instruct the owner/racer to put the "heavy end of the car" above the scale.

Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Weighing the cars ... safely

Post by Cory »

Stan, we woud always put a three-inch 1"x2" on the scale, and then zero it.

We never had to worry about the weight of this block, but it sounds like this is problem with some scales.

Race Day was never a problem for us, but at workships we would have problems with loose nails and weights falling off the platform. The hollowed-out area in your block would have been the perfect place to put them!
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

Great idea & a very timely reminder. Been meaning to address this issue. Now that the cars are finished we can busy our hands making a few of these.
The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
GoneFission
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by GoneFission »

Before the weighing starts, we have someone go by a local supermarket and get a couple of those thin deli boxes. Cut top from bottom, there are two large, very lightweight trays that are an inch or two deep. Plus, graphite hardly sticks to them.

Choose your size to accomodate the cars, but not be so large that much weight can be off the weigh pad of the scale. Some scales don't like lots of weight far off-center. Our scale has a "tare" function that we use to cancel out the weight of the tray so each car starts with a reading of 0.

The styrofoam would work, but we like the clear because the plastic is tough to cut or break, hard to warp, and like I said above, the graphite can largely be shaken out as necessary.
Jungle Jim
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Jungle Jim »

When the cars don't want to stay on the scales, we put a 1/2" dia. 3" long lag screw on the scale and zero the scale with this screw on it. Then we run the screw through the car to provide a "stability point" and then re-measure the car weight.

Just kidding :lol: :P :D :D :lol:
Jungle Jim
rdeis
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rdeis »

Block styrofoam works nicely as well
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

I used balsa wood to build a four sided box to put the pwd cars on. This is light, sturdy, cheap (I had the balsa on hand), and worked very well. I like the idea of using the clear plastic deli boxes and styrofoam blocks.

Da Graphite Kid