District Derby - Schedule

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
RandyUnderwood
Journeyman
Journeyman

District Derby - Schedule

Post by RandyUnderwood »

Ok - I know we've probably talked about this one before - but here goes.

I am planning the district derby - the 'key 3' has decided that they want one scout from each 'year' per pack - ok so that's 5 per pack @ 20 packs - possibly 100 racers maybe another 100 spectators - oh and not to mention we're doing a design competition and an open racing division as well - potentially another 10 from each pack (although we get around a 25% turnout) - we're having the event in the showroom of a local auto dealer - not a lot of room actually and there's no way I can fit 5 tracks in there - we squeezed in four last year and I probably violated the fire codes.

So the question is - should I try to run the preliminaries for all of the racers at the same time or spread them out?

I thought about using two tracks with the following schedule - 9am Tigers, 10am Wolves & Bears, 11 am WebIs & Web IIs, 12pm Open, and 1 pm Finals. I'd still have to have more than one track which I am not fond of - I can't use the full capability of GPRM nor expose all racers to my light tree and automatic start gate (and maybe even video camera display - thanks Randy L.). Should I break it out so I only use one track (that'll take some convincing of the district staff - they think more tracks means bigger event).

Not sure what to do - any thoughts ???

_____

"It's the way we've always done it." is not a good reason to keep making the same mistakes!!!
Randy Underwood
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: District Derby - Schedule

Post by gpraceman »

Personally, I would stick with one track. It may make your race crew's day a bit longer, but it will be far easier to manage than multiple tracks. It will also be much easier for the racers and audience to be able to keep track of the action.

With 100 racers, I think that an organized race crew can easily be able to run the race in the time frame that you allotted on a single track.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

Randy U.,

With reference to violating fire code, The answer is YES!. You do violate the fire code and building code with holding the event at the local Auto dealership. Let me explain it this way, The Auto dealership has a B use group for Business and any meeting or gathering of people would have an Use Group of A for Assembly. The B use group is far less restrictive than the A use group as far a exiting from the space. This is why the school or church gymnasiums seem to make for a better fit because they are designed for that type of event. I am not familiar with what BSA has to say about holding these events in a space not designed to adequately hold them but I would venture to say that the Insurance may not cover an accident if something, heaven forbid, were to happen. I would definitely check with the District chair or even the Council to make sure that your event is covered under these circumstances.

Jim
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

pwdarchitect wrote:Randy U.,

With reference to violating fire code, The answer is YES!. You do violate the fire code and building code with holding the event at the local Auto dealership. Let me explain it this way, The Auto dealership has a B use group for Business and any meeting or gathering of people would have an Use Group of A for Assembly. The B use group is far less restrictive than the A use group as far a exiting from the space. This is why the school or church gymnasiums seem to make for a better fit because they are designed for that type of event. I am not familiar with what BSA has to say about holding these events in a space not designed to adequately hold them but I would venture to say that the Insurance may not cover an accident if something, heaven forbid, were to happen. I would definitely check with the District chair or even the Council to make sure that your event is covered under these circumstances.

Jim
I hadn't thought about that! Makes you wonder why so many Councils were pushing their districts to have their District PWD at an auto dealer last year. Hmmmmm.......
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

pwdarchitect wrote:...
With reference to violating fire code, The answer is YES!. You do violate the fire code and building code with holding the event at the local Auto dealership.
Jim
Great observation! Do I understand correctly that such codes are very consistent around the USA?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
RandyUnderwood
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by RandyUnderwood »

So who is the right person in the community to call and consult - local fire chief, zoning, police ??? I would love to have my event there - but I am not going to risk anything for it.
Randy Underwood
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

Stan Pope wrote:
pwdarchitect wrote:...
With reference to violating fire code, The answer is YES!. You do violate the fire code and building code with holding the event at the local Auto dealership.
Jim
Great observation! Do I understand correctly that such codes are very consistent around the USA?
Stan,

Yes there is a couple of Codes that are "Universal" (consistent) throughout the nation. It is just a matter of which one and what version the local City/County Council have adopted into ordinance. One of the codes is the International Building Code.

Jim
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

RandyUnderwood wrote:So who is the right person in the community to call and consult - local fire chief, zoning, police ??? I would love to have my event there - but I am not going to risk anything for it.
Randy,

I would start with the local Fire Chief to make sure he is okay with it. He might not have an objection with it but would like to know before hand. Then I would check also with the City Building Code official to make sure he is well aware of it also. Like I said before it is really more of a life safety issue more than anything.

Jim