Car Bins for Running Race

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
Warthog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Car Bins for Running Race

Post by Warthog »

Here is an idea I picked up from Mr. Slick:

It might depend on how your race is run on whether they would work for your race. Our Pack race is run by our local Boy Scout Troop.

The idea is to have at least 4 of these bins. 2 for the Starting / staging area and 2 for the finish. It essentially takes 4 people to run it (could take less or more). Basically, one person at the car table loading cars in the bins for each heat (they would have a printout of all the heats).

Once loaded in a bin it would be brought to the Scout staging the cars on the track (bins are color coded by lane). The scout staging the cars on the track would also have a copy of the heats to double check the right cars are being staged each heat.

One scout is at the finish area removing the cars from the finish into a bin. Another scout will be the runner bringing cars from the finish area back to the car table.

This should help efficiency and also ensure the cars are pretty well protected while being handled during the race. I'm sure there are a number of others that probably use a similar system, just thought I would post this as an idea people could take a look at.

The design uses 0.5" thick x .75" wide x 7.5" length Weatherstrip pieces (2 per car holder - 1.5" wide total). Then a piece of foam friction tape is placed on top of that to keep the cars from slipping around. Most, if not all, cars wheels should be off the bottom of the bin. If any cars' wheels do rest on the bottom of the bin I added foam pieces on the walls to keep them from being knocked against the walls of the bins (or at least make the bumps a little softer).
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Car Bins for Running Race

Post by blcrow33 »

This is a great idea. Is there a reason you did not use just pieces of wod on the bottom with friction tape on the wood instead of weather strips?
Warthog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Car Bins for Running Race

Post by Warthog »

The main idea behind the foam instead of wood is that if the scouts are a little rough the foam is less likely to harm the cars than a piece of wood.