Ask to run the pit area. How should I stock the area?

Discussions on race planning, preparations and how to run a "fair" and fun race.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Ask to run the pit area. How should I stock the area?

Post by PWD »

I was asked to run the pit area for our derby. This is the area to get the car ready for checkin. What should I have in the pit? What I am thinking:

- Super glue. Lots of super glue.
- Rubber glove so don't destory hands using super glue
- Scales. Thinking of bringing two scales
- 5oz weight to verify scales are working properly
- Regular rechargeable hand drills. Think I will bring atleast two.
- #44 drill bits? Not sure if this is the place to be drilling new axle holes
- Variety of larger drill bits
- Graphite/moly. Have to find some cheap stuff. Will create a mess. Should I bring? I purchased some small air blowers usually used for glue. These might help.
- Weights. I don't know what to bring. My supply of tungsten is too expensive to bring. I have tons of lead from the past but I think this is too dangerous to bring. I don't have any of the Zinc weights. Guess I should bring these? Can I buy them inexpensively? Where? Do they come in a variety of sizes?

What else should I be brining?

Thanks for any help!
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Ask to run the pit area. How should I stock the area?

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Check out the Pinewood Pitbox posting in the Construction Workshops forum for additional good ideas.

I need to print your list out and check it against my own "toolbox", but a lot of similar material is present in the above posting.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
FAST Racing
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by FAST Racing »

PWD wrote:
- Weights. I don't know what to bring. My supply of tungsten is too expensive to bring. I have tons of lead from the past but I think this is too dangerous to bring. I don't have any of the Zinc weights. Guess I should bring these? Can I buy them inexpensively? Where? Do they come in a variety of sizes?

What else should I be brining?

Thanks for any help!
PWD,
I use mag wheel 'TAPE-A-WEIGHT' has very sticky tape on the
back of the lead weight. As far as toxicity, spray several coats of
rattle-can clear to "seal" the lead.I use the side cutters of a Gerber
Multi-Tool for minimal loose lead particles. Some in picture#5 next
to the tape measure in my Pinewood Pitbox post.

The 'Tape-A-Weight comes in 1/4oz- 1/2oz and 1oz segment sticks.
Don't know the cost per stick.... I stop by local Tire/Wheel shops in
uniform and ask for donations! The local businessmen have been
most generous to our Church (Praise God!) :P
Father And Son T eam = F.A.S.T. Racing
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

Fast Racing thanks for the tip on weights. I am thinking right now to bring pennies. I think I will just have the kids tape pennies to the car. I would prefer to stay away from lead even though I think the issue is somewhat over blown.

I just don't know what to do if a car is grossly under weight.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

PWD wrote:...I just don't know what to do if a car is grossly under weight.
If you are afraid of having a set of 20 pennies taped to a car, bring a couple of heavy bolts along. Got this idea from another thread entitled Types of Weight. Note that Stan has some info posted in there on weights of various coinage. Pennies are about 0.09 oz (i.e. 2 oz. under weight - add 22 pennies :shock: ).
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Cory
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Cory »

PWD wrote:What else should I be bringing?
* This is a little bit esoteric, but I always brought a soldering iron to workshops and race day. It's only purpose was to heat up "epoxy-ed in" axles so that they could be removed.

* Spare wheels, axles, kits are handy to have, if they're not already on one your lists.

* A variety of basic hand tools -- hammers, chisels, clamps, saws, probably a Dremel.

* Three-inch long 1x2's to put cars on while they're being poked, pounded, and drilled.

* Spare batteries for the scales

Murphy's Law applies to Pit Areas. Whatever you don't bring is what you'll need.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

"Murphy's Law applies to Pit Areas. Whatever you don't bring is what you'll need"

Luckily I live right next to the school. I can literly run home and get whatever we need. Thanks for all the suggestions.
rdeis
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rdeis »

Super glue kicker!

It depends on your climate, but where I live it's so dry that super glue doesn't set quite instantly. It's easy to foul the axels with a drop of glue that you thought has set but hadn't, quite, and dribbled off in to the wrong spot.

The problem is even worse when using the odor-free types of super glue that don't eat at your eyes and nose (and which are otherwise terriffic for a number of reasons..)

The local r/c airplane shop will have an instant-set spray that cures all types of super glues-- even the thick gel kind-- on contact. If you have the slightest fear of the glue escaping toward a wheel, you can spray the kicker on the car first, then when the glue hits the car it cures immediately. Unused kicker evaporates off the car harmlessly in a few seconds.

The hobby shop will also have super-glue debonder, obvuiously a useful item.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

With Bubba's advice and some of the other tips here I have been putting together a 'pit box' myself.

I bought a 110V drill for the polishing etc. and I will probably bring my small 12V Dewalt for the others to use. (they might not be able to handle the 18V Dewalt!) :wink:

I still have a few things to get and as any mans tool box it will be a never ending love affair! :D

Later,
Lynn
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director